DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2820n DHCP restriction to certain WLAN SSIDs

• ryster
  • Topic Author
More
23 May 2009 13:39 #55989 by ryster
Hi there

I run my own internal DHCP server on a Windows 2008 box so have the Vigor 2820n's inbuilt DHCP server disabled. However I want to create an isolated wireless lan with a separate SSID thats just limited to the internet and cannot access my LAN.

Unfortunately the way it is now, if I isolate the second SSID to Internet Only, it also isolates it from my DHCP server. I'd like a way to enable the DHCP server in the router but have the option to only attach it to parts of the network I select, in this case the second WLAN SSID.

I'm guessing this can't be done currently, but if you know of a way please let me know.

Regards,
Ryan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2009 15:54 #56618 by johnm
I'll second this request.

In my case I've configured the internal DHCP to be a relay to my real DHCP server on the LAN. Having it as a relay rather than disabled completely was necessary on my old 2600 Plus so that VPN teleworker connections would have their DHCP requests satisfied by my real DHCP server. Don't know if it's still necessary on the 2820n to have its DHCP set to Relay.

Either way, I want users of my second SSID to be assigned their IP and DNS server settings from the DrayTek DNS, because if they're given these from my real DHCP (via DrayTek as relay) they get unreachable DNS servers (which are on the cabled LAN and isolated from the second SSID).

John

More
27 Jul 2009 11:12 #56889 by ianritchie
I also need this. Does anyone know of any way to isolate a second (or even first) SSID and yet still get DHCP from the router; I have an SBS2003 server on the LAN which gives out internal IP addressing.

TIA,
Ian

More
01 Sep 2009 21:19 #57508 by mikacom
Count me in too. SSID isolation is pretty much useless without DHCP!

More
17 Sep 2009 14:59 #57760 by johntankard
Replied by johntankard on topic Vigor 2820n DHCP restriction to certain WLAN SSIDs
Didn't realise this thread was already started. Count me in on this. Draytek, please include this on next firmware update if possible as I have mutiple customers needing this facility.

This would deffo make the 2820N an all-round leader in my view.

Cheers

More
16 Oct 2009 14:05 #58312 by jon_iz
I need it too...
Using the 2820n with 2x ADSL lines and load balancing.
SBS2003 box providing DHCP for first subnet, 172.168.1.x.
Need the routers DHCP server to be available to provide IP addresses for the 2nd subnet, 192.168.1.x

I can't see a way to do it at the moment, does any one know how to do it?

Moderators: ChrisSami