DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Friendly names associated with MAC addresses

More
26 May 2011 19:00 #67936 by zgap111
Vote from me too. I keep having to refer to an excel worksheet to see what's what...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2011 08:14 #70198 by johnf11
Definitely. Displaying an IP with its associated machine name is surely standard on lots of routers.

More
24 Nov 2011 20:39 #70211 by voodle
It's actually in 3.3.7 firmware on the 2820, just go to bind IP to MAC and add a comment when adding the MAC.

More
29 Nov 2011 09:52 #70251 by akwe-xavante
Replied by akwe-xavante on topic Re: Friendly names associated with MAC addresses
Can i add a little here.

Tried this insofar as i have tried to "Edit" an existing entry without deleting it and recreating it and i am failing.

I am failing to edit existing entries.

I could try deleting an existing entry then recreating a new entry!

You only get 8 characters with which to describe or "Comment" your entry, this is not enough, most peoples christian / surnames are longer than 8 characters as an example

"Rebeca's Laptop" "Rebeca's Desktop"

"Workshop Server" "Office Workstation"

"Receptionists Terminal" and so on

In a medium to small business you could have many computers and Laptops, if you choose to use Christian names and you two employees called Johnson, you could have Johnson1 and Johnson2 but in six months who's who!?

8 characters is nowhere near enough to describe what the ip address is or who's ip address it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't understand why you have to manually choose to "Show Comment" every time you want to view this information either, show this column all the time after first use at least if not permanently.

Finally this ones a silly one i suppose but can we have the wordage "Comment" replaced and call this a "Description" as i think most people what to Describe what the IP address is for or what it is or who it belongs to rather than make a comment! I know a silly one, sorry

More
07 Dec 2011 12:37 #70377 by clearloon
Replied by clearloon on topic Re: Friendly names associated with MAC addresses
+1 this - remembering bound IPs or MACs is a hassle esp as I adminster via ssh.

More
07 Dec 2011 23:26 #70396 by voodle
It's actually 11 characters, I just checked.

And edit works on mine, maybe you're using chrome? the web interface seems to hate chrome.

Moderators: Sami