DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 WAN2 not resolving web pages HTTPs ok though - help ..

• garob
  • Topic Author
More
21 Jul 2010 15:01 #62957 by garob
I have a 2820 with a WAN1 1 on Kingston ADSL and WAN2 on Griffin internet .

When WAN1 goes down , as today , the system falls over on to the WAN 2 connection . I can Terminal Servic in on port 3389 and email flows to the SMTP server on port 25 via the MX2 record and I can even resolve HTTPS but not standard web pages ( bbc.co.uk & itv.com)

The router on WAN 2 is a Linksys and I can resolve wen pages from a netbook when on the WAN2 subnet ...

any one seen this before?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2010 18:51 #62959 by drewy
It's usually DNS problems. Have a hunt around here and you'll find loads of posts about this.
The 2820 seems to give out the wan1 dns server details via dhcp and not those for wan2, so when a failover happens you simple can't resolve anything.
One work around is to use either openDNS or google DNS servers and set these up in the Lan\General Setup\Force DNS manual settings box. Your clients (if using dhcp) should then use these DNS servers that should eb reachable via both wan1 & wan2.

• garob
  • Topic Author
More
22 Jul 2010 09:11 #62963 by garob
Drewy ,

Thank you for your reply. They were my initial thoughts also .

We use the Open DNS servers for both WAN1 and WAN2 and WAN2 is set to 208.67.220.220 and mail is flowing using DNS through WAN2 . Also Term Servs on 3389 and , weirdly ... I can resolve to secure HTTP sites on https:// (including my own mail server) ....

I'm thinking this is an obscure firewall issue that I've not come accross yet ....

More
16 Aug 2010 11:19 #63366 by carlosgarcia
Hi everybody.

I have an ongoing issue with my 2930, machines that are on the WAN2 cannot access to my serves that are on WAN1, wierd, must be a DNS issue or NAT loopback, as soon as i discover the problem i will post.
My question here for you garob is, i have same settings as you WAN1 with zen and WAN2 with BE, the other day we lost ZEN (bt roadworks or watherver) so we lost the mail and everything else for an hour. Could you please explain me how you did it to get it working in case of fail? that would be awesome.

• garob
  • Topic Author
More
03 Dec 2011 20:44 #70319 by garob
Carlos

On the WAN >> General Setup page I set the lines to autoweight . Beware though . We are using Zens smarthost so we could relay to it through our 2 Zen connections whereas your BE ISP line would not relay the smtp mail .

Gary

Moderators: Sami