Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2800VG sync issues

• phyber
  • Topic Author
More
28 Sep 2010 18:38 #64000 by phyber
2800VG sync issues was created by phyber
Hi,
I've been using a 2800VG on ADSL1 (old, static version at 2mbit) for many years now. Recently, my line was shifted over to 21CN and with it, my line became ADSLMax.
I'm close enough to the exchange that I should be able to sync at the full ADSL Max speed, but the 2800 was syncing at low speeds (~3.6mbit) with a low SNR (7-8dB). I left it for almost a week to see if it improved, it did not.

Suspecting this to be quite wrong, today I borrowed a Netgear DG834 from work set it up and plugged it in.
Straight away I'm syncing at 7616kbps (which I believe is the maximum for ADSL1 if interleaving is enabled) and my SNR Margin is at 16.6dB.

Is my 2800 dying? Would a reset to factory defaults somehow help it? Should I try to replace it with a 2820 and hope the same doesn't happen? How can this Netgear sync so much faster and have a higher SNR margin?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• phyber
  • Topic Author
More
08 Mar 2011 13:02 #66691 by phyber
Replied by phyber on topic Re: 2800VG low SNR Margin
I was bored last night so I gave the old 2800 another try after resetting it to factory settings via the web interface. It synced at 2mbit, the Netgear syncs at 8mbit now (and is very stable). I still have no idea why the Draytek is performing so badly (It's on the 2.8.2.1 beta firmware, I needed it for the wireless fix back when I was still on ADSL1).
Since I no longer need the wireless fix any more (I bought a dedicated wireless AP), should I try rolling back to 2.8.2 with the .rst file? Would this make any difference? Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

From the lack of response, I'm guessing that nobody else has seen their 2800 perform like this :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami