DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek 2820 IPV6

• joelang1699
  • Topic Author
More
14 Feb 2011 14:34 #66258 by joelang1699
Replied by joelang1699 on topic Draytek 2820 IPV6
The 2830 Series is out now but doesn't mention IPV6 anywhere.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2011 21:38 #66444 by plemonde
Replied by plemonde on topic Re: Draytek 2820 IPV6
+1

More
27 Feb 2011 21:24 #66501 by gerrylawrence
Replied by gerrylawrence on topic Re: Draytek 2820 IPV6
Another vote for IPv6 support in this product.
This year is the year it all kicks off. I'd like to be ahead of the game.
At this rate, ISP's will be using horrible tunnel solutions or even more horrible gateway proxies that intercept DNS requests as well as proxying the sites you want to go for. We really don't want that.
IPv6 should be a standard feature by now.
I'm sure Draytek know this, but if it doesn't get built in soon, I'll need to defect to Cisco equipment.

More
28 Mar 2011 18:06 #67003 by ncollingridge
Replied by ncollingridge on topic Re: Draytek 2820 IPV6
There's a very content-light statement on the Draytek website which I think has been fairly recently added (I found out about it from a newsletter email dated 23 March). You can see it at http://www.draytek.com/user/AboutNewsDetail.php?ID=153 . The significant part is as follows:

"...we want to be able to retrospectively upgrade existing units which do not currently support IPv6. DrayTek is starting the process to add IPv6 to existing models as a firmware upgrade. In some cases, it will not be feasible to support IPv6, perhaps due to hardware limitations or discontinued models. In the next few months, DrayTek will move forward with this upgrade plan and be able to announce which models will support IPv6 in future so we welcome to keep in touch with your preferred dealer for news of when support is added to each model."

So at this stage the answer appears to be "We will support IPv6 but we're not going to tell you on which models or when". Not very satisfactory as far as I am concerned.

More
29 Mar 2011 00:55 #67010 by reetp
Replied by reetp on topic Re: Draytek 2820 IPV6

"...DrayTek is starting the process to add IPv6 to existing models as a firmware upgrade."

Oh joy, more pain. The 2820 firmware saga and lack of support has dropped my opinion of Draytek gear from Mercedes to Reliant Robin.

"..In some cases, it will not be feasible to support IPv6"

Well THERE'S a surprise....

"..........DrayTek will move forward with this upgrade plan and be able to announce which models will support IPv6 in future "

Excuse me, but HOW long have they known about the problem ?? Surely they should know by now which ones do and which don't. And surely they should have had firmware written by now ?

ncollingridge wrote: Not very satisfactory as far as I am concerned.

Couldn't agree more. In fact they seem more amateurish than I could have ever believed. How the mighty have fallen. Looking forward to the alternatives as they appear. I certainly won't be buying any more.

More
08 May 2011 11:11 #67631 by pol098
Replied by pol098 on topic IPV6, routers, and Draytek
I've been reading up on IPv6, and here is some stuff I found; I don't claim any expertise or opinion of my own. Draytek seems too small to get a mention, but no Draytek equipment seems to be on the (very very short) list of equipment that works reasonably well with IPv6. The Draytek Vigor 120, 2130 and 2750 are mentioned in a reference as supporting IPv6, but nothing else is said, presumably not evaluated.

There is some information on IPv6 equipment becoming available. As of spring 2011 a lot of stuff that claims IPv6 support apparently doesn't work well. Open source third-party firmware for some routers such as OpenWRT or DD-WRT may be a better bet than manufacturers' firmware (though Draytek never seems to be on their compatibility lists). As of March 2011 apparently only some D-Links and Apple's AirPort Express and AirPort Extreme operate well enough for a field trial. Apple do not provide any IPv6 support - if it works, it works.

Someone testing routers has long given up on firmware upgrades for existing ones, saying that most recent consumer-grade routers have insufficient memory for an adequate set of IPv6 features; and even if they do it's not in the vendor's interest to spend on adding features to older products. Companies that claim IPv6 support have products that mainly don't work properly (Netgear and Zyxel are mentioned).

There is going to be a worldwide test when IPv6 will be switched on for a 24-hour test, 8 June 2011 (World IPv6 Day).

Most routers claiming IPv6 use Broadcom's chipset, which has been lacking but is now almost feature complete.

Useful references:
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/030411-ipv6-home-routers.html?page=2
http://www.getipv6.info/index.php/Broadband_CPE

The Japanese market is more advanced in IPv6 devices. A good way to track it is via
http://www.ipv6style.jp/en/
Look at the Japanese, not English, information - English is outdated and doesn't contain the product announcements. if your Japanese isn't up to scratch (tsk tsk), translate it with Babelfish.

Moderators: Sami