DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Where is the UK 3.3.5 version of the 2820 Firmware?

More
12 Feb 2011 10:15 #66227 by markiebrown
Replied by markiebrown on topic Where is the UK 3.3.5 version of the 2820 Firmware?

These routers (and the 2820 in-particular) are not exactly aimed or marketed at home users. I don't know of any average home users that have even heard of Draytek, much less would actually buy one of their products :)

Surely if these routers were aimed mostly for business users then why design them the shape they are, if aimed for business use, why not make them rack mountable from the go, instead of requiring that god awfull piece of rubbish metal bracket that costs a fortune to get it rack mounted?
Another marketing ploy to make a few extra bucks? :roll:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2011 12:06 #66228 by ukengb

MarkieBrown wrote: Surely if these routers were aimed mostly for business users then why design them the shape they are, if aimed for business use, why not make them rack mountable from the go, instead of requiring that god awfull piece of rubbish metal bracket that costs a fortune to get it rack mounted?
Another marketing ploy to make a few extra bucks? :roll:

Probably because for many businesses rack mount only would be entirely unsuitable. I'd suggest that the majority of businesses who use such a router to connect to the Internet have no idea what a rack is (apart from any lewd connotations that is:-)

By making it the shape it is and offering an adapter that will allow it to be rack mounted for those who want it so seems like the best solution to me. In any case, those businesses who run racks of equipment are highly unlikely to balk at the cost of the adapter.

In fact one my reasons for purchasing the 2820 was because I can mount it on the wall for now, but then add the adapter when we've finished some rebuilding work and the router will need to go in a rack. Ideal.

More
14 Feb 2011 01:23 #66242 by admin
Why do you assume that all business have a rack? Why make the router twice as big just for those people who want it in a rack?

And what's wrong with the rack kit?

Forum Administrator

More
14 Feb 2011 01:57 #66246 by asimm.it

admin wrote: Why do you assume that all business have a rack? Why make the router twice as big just for those people who want it in a rack?

And what's wrong with the rack kit?

Only quarm I have with the rack kit is since changing it from the silver to the new smaller black model, the supported area of the router has decreased.

The routers now balance on the rack nicely but what about when trying to add or remove cables on constraint rack spaces, if you push the router back ever so slightly, even a few mm's the router falls off the back of the rack mount!

At least with the slightly bigger silver rack mount there was room for clumbsy fingers!

More
14 Feb 2011 11:31 #66256 by johnsc
Getting back on track (rack) just to add that I updated to 3.3.5.1 and have not noticed any issues with my set up. BB speed is not dropping and both Gigaset VOIP devices and VF Sure Signal are 100% solid so far. ( I had tried 3.3.4 but reverted to 3.3.3 due to some of issues logged on this thread. :D

More
18 Feb 2011 08:04 #66329 by nrb501

The routers now balance on the rack nicely but what about when trying to add or remove cables on constraint rack spaces, if you push the router back ever so slightly, even a few mm's the router falls off the back of the rack mount!
!

The router should slot into the rack mount tray opening with the edges of the opening fitting into the slots just behind the router front panel thus holding the router firmly in place.[/quote]

Moderators: ChrisSami