DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 120 (v1) Optimal firmware for variable line quality?

• kelvin
  • Topic Author
More
03 Dec 2010 16:35 #65127 by kelvin
Can anyone advise which the best firmware for the Vigor 120 (v1) would be to handle variable line quality. The SNR downstream fluctuates by about 4dB and this is triggering the DSLAM to apply overly large margins to the line. I know that there are subtle differences in the ADSL driver versions and I am currently running the following.

Code:
Model Name : Vigor120 Firmware Version : 3.2.4.4 Build Date/Time : Aug 16 2010 11:14:51 ADSL Firmware Version : 332201_A Hardware: Annex A

CISCO have in the past offered "specialized" versions of their ADSL code to manage bad lines and I am wondering if DrayTek do the same.

This is the current "adsl status" for reference, if anyone is able to offer some suggestions. The line quality issue is a BT one and there is little I can do from my end, apart from graph it to use a a big stick if it should eventually fail altogether.

Code:
> adsl status --------------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A) ----------- DSL Modulation : ADSL2+(G.992.5) State : SHOWTIME DS Actual Rate : 13857665 bps US Actual Rate : 1156987 bps DS Attainable Rate : 12636000 bps US Attainable Rate : 1156000 bps DS Path Mode : Interleave US Path Mode : Interleave DS Interleave Depth : 96 US Interleave Depth : 1 NE Current Attenuation : 33 dB Cur SNR Margin : 7 dB DS actual PSD : 20. 6 dB US actual PSD : 12. 3 dB ADSL Firmware Version : 332201_A -------------------------------- ATU-C Info --------------------------------- Far Current Attenuation : 13 dB Far SNR Margin : 6 dB CO ITU Version[0] : 00004946 CO ITU Version[1] : 0000544e DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : < IFTN > >

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2010 10:31 #65144 by daimlermg
I cant help with the Draetek 120 as I only use them on good lines but on a bad line 4 miles from the exchange I use Netgear DG834 and get 3Mb, When the speed drops I turn it off for 2 mins 3 nights in a row and it comes back to full speed again i.e it drops down to 1 Mb untill I do the reboot thing.

It is a bad line and must get water into connections somewhere.

System Up Time 545:12:10

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 51.0 db 25.5 db
Noise Margin 10.8 db 17.0 db

More
10 Dec 2010 10:23 #65208 by louisjwallan
Kelvin,

As there are about 10 different versions of the current firmware for the 120 depending on modem codes, I was confused as to which was the optimum option. An email enquiry to Draytek in the UK produced this rapid response which may be of some assistance to you:-

"The modem codes are not specifically for any country / ADSL type,
however the different modem codes will behave differently depending on
line conditions. The 332201 modem code is recommended in the UK
because it achieves a higher speed than other modem codes when using
ADSL2+ connections.
"The 321311 modem code is what we would recommend when the UK
recommended modem code causes disconnections or other issues."

Regards, LA

• kelvin
  • Topic Author
More
10 Dec 2010 10:44 #65210 by kelvin
Now, that is useful information!

Many thanks...

More
24 Jan 2011 13:40 #65821 by ubercam
I'd just like to add my own thanks for this information.

We live in an area that's a bit far from the exchange and from what I hear the lines aren't so good. On the default UK firmware, I'd have to reboot the modem at least once a day because the upstream SNR would slowly drop to 0. The connection wouldn't drop, but no packets got through until I rebooted it. With 321311, it hovers between 5 and 6db (the best I've ever seen was 7db) with no interventions on my part, and the connection speeds are much more stable than they ever were (3.5m down, 800k up).

Anyone who's having issues should try this for a few days.

• kelvin
  • Topic Author
More
26 Jan 2011 09:39 #65860 by kelvin
Once you had changed to the more stable modem code, how did the reported downstream speed compare with what had previously been reported?

In other words, what is the penalty for stability?

Thanks.

Moderators: ChrisSami