DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2800V Freezing Frequently - Where to Find Log Data?

• dtforum@mongo.org.uk
  • Topic Author
More
23 Dec 2010 20:19 #1 by dtforum@mongo.org.uk
2800V Freezing Frequently - Where to Find Log Data? was created by dtforum@mongo.org.uk
Hi -

After struggling with various domestic-grade modem/routers I bought an ex-corporate 2800V on Ebay (direct from the corp's IT dept). Initially it worked very reliably, but in the last month or two it has become increasingly fragile - it freezes and needs to be power-cycled nearly every day. (by 'freeze' I mean that it stops functioning, won't respond to web admin log-in, panel lights stop flickering etc)

I appreciate that it's obsolete, out-of-warranty etc, but if anyone who offer any suggestions I would really appreciate the help. I don't want to go back to my old 3Com 9105, but at least it worked reliably...

The unit is running Firmware 2.8.2, and ADSL Firmware Version E.38.2.23. I'm running a home network on it, connected to Karoo by ADSL. Use includes Skype, web, Steam gaming, light P2P, occasional VPN (using a work-supplied RSA token), media streaming within the house, an XBox and Blackberry, etc. All the fancy stuff (LAN2, VOIP, VPN, Radius etc) is disabled.

I have Syslog 4.2.1 running constantly but I can't see any information there about why the router is failing. It doesn't appear to be over-heating, and the power supply appears stable.

Please could someone tell me how to access the log file which precedes the freeze/crash?

Thanks in advance -

Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami