DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

3300V throughput

• davidthornton
  • Topic Author
More
02 Jan 2011 21:29 #65440 by davidthornton
3300V throughput was created by davidthornton
Can anyone familair with the 3300V please let me know the maximum WAN port throughput achievable? Don't just refer me to the ambiguious out of date chart. :)

Has anyone successfully managed to use Virgin Media 50Mbit through it and achieve 50Mbit?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2011 12:53 #65466 by jonbennell
Replied by jonbennell on topic 3300V throughput
Hi David,

I've done some testing with a 3300V+ and found the following results, using a PC application called Network Speed from http://www.optimumx.com/

Code:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Client connected from 172.30.2.100 12/14/2010 11:26:43 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Client has disconnected. Transferred 1000MB in 279.62 seconds. Results: (Bps=Bytes, bps=bits) Peak--> Bps: 4066714 KBps: 3971 MBps: 3.9 Kbps: 31771 Mbps: 31.03 Avg--> Bps: 3750057 KBps: 3662 MBps: 3.6 Kbps: 29297 Mbps: 28.61 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During this test, the routers CPU was maxed out at 100%. However, in real world usage, when I was copying files between the LAN and WAN, I was getting much closer to 100Mbps.

I hope this helps,

Jon Bennell

• davidthornton
  • Topic Author
More
05 Jan 2011 15:20 #65472 by davidthornton
Replied by davidthornton on topic 3300V throughput

jonbennell wrote: Hi David,

I've done some testing with a 3300V+ and found the following results, using a PC application called Network Speed from http://www.optimumx.com/

Code:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Client connected from 172.30.2.100 12/14/2010 11:26:43 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Client has disconnected. Transferred 1000MB in 279.62 seconds. Results: (Bps=Bytes, bps=bits) Peak--> Bps: 4066714 KBps: 3971 MBps: 3.9 Kbps: 31771 Mbps: 31.03 Avg--> Bps: 3750057 KBps: 3662 MBps: 3.6 Kbps: 29297 Mbps: 28.61 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During this test, the routers CPU was maxed out at 100%. However, in real world usage, when I was copying files between the LAN and WAN, I was getting much closer to 100Mbps.

I hope this helps,

Jon Bennell

Jon,

Thank you for this. :) Do you happen to know if the 3300V+ is much different to the original 3300V (with latest EN firmware)?

I'm getting dreadful throughput figures at the moment with my 3300V. I don't have any kind of firewall rules or shaping running.

WAN1 - VDSL2 capable of 35Mbit D / 8Mbit U - PPoE to VDSL modem.
WAN2 - Cable 50Mbit D / 1.5Mbit U - DHCP to cablemodem.
WAN3 - ADSL2+ capable of 5Mbit D / 1Mbit U - Static assignment through ADSL modem.

I'm currently unable to achieve the above stated throughputs when downloading on WAN1 or WAN2. However, in the past, I have managed to achieve 50Mbit from WAN2's connection. I am not sure why I am unable to now. If I plug a computer into the WAN1 VDSL2 modem, and then make a dialup PPoE connection through it, or into WAN2's cablemodem and DHCP from that, I can achieve the maximum rates without problem. Therefore I know it is a 3300V issue.

More
05 Jan 2011 15:29 #65473 by jonbennell
David,

Unfortunately, I've no idea what the differences are between the 3300V and the 3300V+, which I have. Perhaps someone else here could elaborate?

When you're performing your throughput tests, what is the CPU usage? What are your achieved speeds? I know that ADSL and Cable services are contended so perhaps this is a factor? Perhaps you could try some independent speed tests with each of your Internet connections directly connected to a computer/laptop so that you have a point of comparison?

I get the impression that the limiting factor in the 3300 series is the processing hardware.

For the record, I'm running firmware version 2.6.3 (EN).

• davidthornton
  • Topic Author
More
05 Jan 2011 15:35 #65474 by davidthornton
Replied by davidthornton on topic 3300V throughput

jonbennell wrote: David,

Unfortunately, I've no idea what the differences are between the 3300V and the 3300V+, which I have. Perhaps someone else here could elaborate?

When you're performing your throughput tests, what is the CPU usage? What are your achieved speeds? I know that ADSL and Cable services are contended so perhaps this is a factor? Perhaps you could try some independent speed tests with each of your Internet connections directly connected to a computer/laptop so that you have a point of comparison?

I get the impression that the limiting factor in the 3300 series is the processing hardware.

For the record, I'm running firmware version 2.6.3 (EN).

Hi Jon,

I haven't checked the CPU usage on the router but I will do. I've been informed, on another forum, that the 3300V has throughput limitations when PPoE is used for authentication.

I'm not really able to achieve more than 20Mbit with either WAN1 or WAN2 at the moment, but it varies widely. I have tried connecting to both modems normally connected to WAN1 and WAN2 and have achieved the maximum speeds when doing that (perhaps my original post, explaining that I'd done this, wasn't clear. :) ). I've used speedtest.net and speedtest bbmax for results.

Something on the 3300V is limiting throughput but in the past I have managed to achieve higher speeds. I'm now running the same firmware version as you.

More
05 Jan 2011 15:38 #65475 by jonbennell
David,

Good luck with your further testing, I'd like to hear the results when all is done.

Jon

Moderators: ChrisSami