Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

3300V throughput

• davidthornton
  • Topic Author
More
05 Jan 2011 15:42 #65476 by davidthornton
Replied by davidthornton on topic 3300V throughput

jonbennell wrote: David,

Good luck with your further testing, I'd like to hear the results when all is done.

Jon

I'll try something later tonight, I hope. I need to look up the s/n as have drafted a support ticket to draytek in the hope that they can help me establish why throughput is so poor.

I use the Load Balance option to specify which WAN connection various devices on my LAN are forced to use, by specifying their source IP against the destination WAN port. Aside from that, I don't employ any other shaping or firewalling. So why speed is an issue is baffling me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• davidthornton
  • Topic Author
More
06 Jan 2011 02:07 #65482 by davidthornton

Good luck with your further testing, I'd like to hear the results when all is done.

Jon

I spent some time this evening testing the 3300V further. When plugging a laptop directly into a LAN port on it, and running various web based speed tests, I'm only able to achieve between 5Mbit and 10Mbit download on my WAN2 connection. However if I plug the WAN2 cablemodem directly into the same laptop, I'm then able to achieve 50Mbit.

With regards CPU usage, when I make the speed tests, it falls between 40% ad 60%. Also for the first 5 minutes or so after rebooting the 3300V, the CPU usage is 100%. I'm not sure why; I wondered if it might be to do with the 3 WAN connections bringing themselves up. The PPoE ones always take the longest, but even after they have connected the CPU usage is still listed at 100% for some time afterwards.

Finally I started copying a file from a NAS on my LAN to a laptop connected to a LAN port on the 3300V to see if the LAN ports were being restricted. I was able to achieve at least 60Mbit so they clearly are not.

Something or some configuration on the 3300V is restricting my WAN to LAN port throughputs. What on earth could it be?

• davidthornton
  • Topic Author
More
06 Jan 2011 07:15 #65483 by davidthornton

davidthornton wrote:

Jon

I spent some time this evening testing the 3300V further. When plugging a laptop directly into a LAN port on it, and running various web based speed tests, I'm only able to achieve between 5Mbit and 10Mbit download on my WAN2 connection. However if I plug the WAN2 cablemodem directly into the same laptop, I'm then able to achieve 50Mbit.

[Snip]

I've just made the same test in the past few minutes and am now able to achieve between 20Mbit and 25Mbit download on my WAN2 connection. However, plugging the cablemodem directly into the laptop allows me to achieve the full 50Mbit. I don't understand why the router is varying. Using between 6 and 10% CPU.

More
07 Jan 2011 17:35 #65517 by jonbennell
Replied by jonbennell on topic 3300V throughput
Interesting to see your findings.

This might seem like overkill but perhaps it might be worth resetting the router back to the factory defaults and testing each connection through the router independently. If the CPU load isn't at 100% when your connection seems to max out, then perhaps it's a link speed issue between the router WAN port and the modem that you're connecting to. Try changing the Physical Mode to 100M / Full Duplex under Network > WAN > Edit (the relevant WAN connection).

It makes sense that the PPPoE connection takes the longest to connect as there's some authentication with the ISP, whereas the DHCP leases from the other connections are almost instantaneous.

Keep us posted...

More
13 Jan 2011 22:47 #65653 by jonbennell
Replied by jonbennell on topic 3300V throughput
David,

I've just found the page below (wish I'd found it much earlier!) which gives an outline comparison between Draytek products.

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/comparison.html

Assuming that the 3300V and 3300V+ have similar processing capabilities, the router has a maximum throughput of 50Mbps. Real world usage is often less, which may explain your predicament.

Hope this helps,

Jon

• davidthornton
  • Topic Author
More
17 Jan 2011 17:49 #65693 by davidthornton

I've just found the page below (wish I'd found it much earlier!) which gives an outline comparison between Draytek products.

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/comparison.html

Assuming that the 3300V and 3300V+ have similar processing capabilities, the router has a maximum throughput of 50Mbps. Real world usage is often less, which may explain your predicament.

Hope this helps,

Jon

Hi,

Thats the chart I was referring to in my opening post. Thing is I've successfully run 50Mbit through the 3300V so I know it works. :)

Anyhow I think it might be time to "skip" the thing soon. I realise this forum is "unofficial" but the general support from Draytek, in my opinion, is severely lacking. Browsing through this forum there are numerous unanswered posts and the only free way there appears to get assistance from someone at Draytek is to fill in a stupid web form! The company doesn't offer it's own support forum, or appear to frequent here, nor an online support ticket system. I cannot even fire up Outlook and write a proper email; I have to fill in stupid boxes when I want to find out more than the ambiguous documentation provides.

Moderators: ChrisSami