DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820Vn analogue phone and virgin telephone line

• emeryryan
  • Topic Author
More
02 Feb 2011 21:33 #66045 by emeryryan
Hi

Ive just bouht a 2820Vn and want to be able to use a regular virgin telephone (i.e. not ISDN) line and Voip on a BT Freestyle handset (analogue?)

I pluggeg the phone line from the wall which normally goes into the phone into the "line" on the 2820Vn, Ive plugged the phone (using the supplied cable) into the plug next to the line (phone 1/2).

i.e. phoneline -> 'line' on Draytek 2820Vn to 'phone1/2' -> BT Freestyle phone.

I cant seem to get a dial tone... i tried to figure out the manual but it may as well be in a foreign language. Ive tried dialing 'hash' zero for the non voip line. I tried calling my phone but it just kept ringing. If i plug the phoneline directly back into the phone it works fine...

Im in the UK

(my voip provider has a very straight forward voip setup guide for this router so im not too worried about that)

I guess there must be some setting i need to set on the 2820Vn??? all I could find was something for your number so I tried putting in my 02476 XXX XXX number but it still doesnt work

I bet the solution is simple but i just cant see what to do.

please help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2011 08:50 #66053 by d malone
I have the same router with an analogue phone olugged into the first port of the telephone adaptor supplied with my router (the adaptor is in turn plugged into the Phone1/2 port of the router). I receive dial tone as soon as I go off-hook on the phone, regardless of whether a line is connected to the 'Line' port on the router. Do you?

---
D Malone

• emeryryan
  • Topic Author
More
03 Feb 2011 11:05 #66055 by emeryryan
Replied by emeryryan on topic 2820Vn analogue phone and virgin telephone line
Hi,

I didnt need the analogue adapter as my phone would plug straight into the phone socket

My phone is http://www.eshopbrokers.co.uk/products/Telephones/Phones-Wireless/BT/BT-Freestyle-335-Twin-cordless-phone-w-answerin?prodid=548313&info=2

The adapter I had with the Router is the rectangular old style phone plug (and only one of them), my phone has the square type which the adapter converts the rectangular plug to so I plugged the phone directly into Phone 1/2 port... could it be im missing an adapter?

I hear nothing when i go off hook, no dial tone, no nothing.

Maybe ill try plugging the old rectangular plug that would go into the wall into the adapter, that into the router and then plug the router into the wall... will see if that works... cant see that it would make a difference but will see.

More
03 Feb 2011 23:35 #66076 by d malone
The Phone1/2 outlet is cabled to connect two seperate analogue telephones, so I wouldn't expect it to work if a phone is plugged directly into it. My router came with an adaptor that plugs into the Phone1/2 outlet and has two BT-style sockets (in a plastic block) at the other end of a short cable. The short cable has a label on it showing 'Analog Phone Adapter'.

I'm quite happy to trace out the connections of the adaptor if that would help.

---
D Malone

• emeryryan
  • Topic Author
More
05 Feb 2011 04:45 #66100 by emeryryan
Replied by emeryryan on topic 2820Vn analogue phone and virgin telephone line
In that case its the adapter im missing!

how do i get one? shouldnt it have been in the box?

Ill contact draytek to see if they can send me one

More
05 Feb 2011 08:24 #66101 by middling

emeryryan wrote: The adapter I had with the Router is the rectangular old style phone plug (and only one of them), my phone has the square type which the adapter converts the rectangular plug to so I plugged the phone directly into Phone 1/2 port...

After a couple hours searching i believe it may be this that is causing the problem. US phone plugs use pins 3+4 while UK ones use pins 2+5.

If the socket on the Draytek is wired for RJ14 (as seems to be the standard for US 2-line connections) then pins 3+4 are for line 1 and pins 2+5 are for line 2.

If your phone has a US-style plug on the end then even so it is likely wired for UK 2+5 pins but theoretically, when plugged directly into the router's phone 1/2 socket, should present you with line 2. Try setting up the router to output to line 2 rather than 1 and see if it works.

This is all assuming the Draytek is using the RJ14 standard, which i'm none too sure of.

D Malone: If you could trace the connections that would be great. The 2 central pins on the adapter plug should end at the 2 central pins on port 1, while pins 2+5 on the plug should end at the 2 central pins on port 2.

Moderators: ChrisSami