DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

setup a wifi with 10 AP800 on a hotel

More
18 Feb 2011 06:53 #66328 by gezos
hi
i have a project to install wifi lan on a hotel, I need only wap2 security.
In order to cover all the hotel i want about 10 AP.
My question is ..
1. is the ap800 suitable for this ...
2. Will i have interference problem between the AP. i WANT TO HAVE ONLY 1 ssid for all the wifi lan p.e. HOTELWIFI.
3. Having one SSID for all the AP's ... the client will logon automaticaly to the best AP ( MEAN THE BEST SIGNAL ) .
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2011 17:46 #66373 by asimm.it
Replied by asimm.it on topic setup a wifi with 10 AP800 on a hotel
hi gezos,

answers to your questions.

1. Yes, depending on the size of the hotel, ideally you should not use more than 4 AP's
2. depends how many other AP's are in the local area on the same channels. Also the actual size of the area for wireless signal coverage across the hotel is a big factor. Configure all your devices identically but make sure ip addresses are different for the lan. Also ensure that your channels for each AP are not identical, try to leave a gap of atleast 2 channels between each AP i.e 1st AP800 on channel 1, 2nd AP800 on channel 3 etc.. Ideally you want to use as few AP's as possible to avoid latency and channel congestion.
3. Yes, by using the same ssid's, encryption and wireless keys, you can achieve this.

Hope this helps!

More
24 Feb 2011 11:34 #66431 by gezos
Thanks for your reply
The hotel is big enough 7 floors and 26 rooms in every floor.
I have an other question.
Which is the minimum length between 2 access point ...
i made some tests and i though 3 ap in every floor are ok .
thanks

More
24 Feb 2011 12:56 #66432 by asimm.it
Replied by asimm.it on topic setup a wifi with 10 AP800 on a hotel
hi gezos,

I really couldn't say what the maximum range would be as many different factors could prohibit the actual range you achieve (i.e wall & floor density, inteference from other local devices).

Primarily you want to ensure you get a good overlap between the AP's (the AP800's will let you scan from the web interface for other AP's and will show signal strength or you could walk around with a laptop/portable device).

Moderators: ChrisSami