DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820VN no access after Firmware upgrade - FIX

• peetee
  • Topic Author
More
26 Feb 2011 00:56 #66470 by peetee
I've just upgraded a 2820VN from firmware version 3.3.0 to 3.3.4.1 and after doing so the box was unresponsive, despite the firmware upgrade being uninterrupted and from what the messages said went through okay. The ethernet port lights were no longer lit and the 2820VN was no longer accessible by 192.168.1.1. The 2820VN would power on with 8 out of 9 green LEDs lit but the DSl one unlit.

Here's my fix which hopefully might help somebody else. I've put in as much detail as I can remember in case the fix was specific to anything weird.

Download and install router tools v4.2.1
Using a wired ethernet lead connect the PC to 'port 1(giga)' on the 2820VN. At the time the 2820VN is in a crashed state so no green LED lights. Disconnect all other ethernet ports.
Configure your PC's TCPIP settings to manually set an IP address on the same subnet(?) as the 2820VN. So for example use 192.168.1.2 for the pc as the 2820VN has hopefully defaulted to 192.168.1.1. This is needed as the DHCP server in the 2820VN is inactive due to its crash.

UnZip the firmware version you want, I used the .RST version so the settings would get wiped too, in case keeping them caused any problems.

Now, here's the tricky bit. Turn the 2820VN off. Hold in the 'factory reset' button whilst turning it back on. Wait for the ACT+USB+CSM LEDs to flash in unison, release the factory reset and then push it again. And let go again. That might need some playing about with, as I might not of got the exact sequence correct there. You'll know when its right, and the 2820VN is in a mode where new firmware can be downloaded to it, when the ethernet port 1 green LED lights up. Now, using the firmware upgrade utility in router tools, you can send it new firmware.

Come on Draytek! get your act together. You make a really good box. I've used one for years but they shouldn't be failing firmware upgrades.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2011 19:15 #66561 by vxc
Thanks Peetee,

This is exactly what happened to me when upgrading firmware, no errors just successful message and all kapoot!

worked a treat!

More
08 Mar 2011 09:42 #66689 by andy376
Thanks Peetee, this worked a treat here too. I had a nervous 15 minutes wondering why the firmware upgrade utility kept timing out on me, but once I turned off my firewall it all went as described (one for others to watch out for).

Thanks

Andy

More
27 Mar 2011 19:03 #66991 by comsurg
Peetee, you are an absolute star!! - Solution worked fine here too. Thought I was going to have to take a hit on a customer's 2 year old router after updating the firmware to try to fix another problem. Fortunately I had another new 2820 in the car anyway.

Cheers
Colin

More
20 Apr 2011 16:40 #67385 by andy_soes
Thanks for the guide - have tried this but the Firmware utility keeps timing out.

"Request time out. Transfer Abort"

Have tried different PC's and different Lan cables.

PLEASE HELP DRAYTEK!!!!!

More
20 Apr 2011 20:52 #67388 by nobody
When you hold the reset-button, turn on the router, wait a little, then, release the reset button, the router goes in tftp upload mode.
However, from my experience, you cannot be sure if the IP Adress of the router is the factory default, or, the address you maybe assigned the router. So you might try both.
First, try the factory-default address: 192.168.1.1
Set your pc IP Adress to a static IP Adress: 192.168.1.10
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
all other settings do not matter.
connect only your PC to one of the LAN ports of the router, wait until the green link led for the matching lan port goes green.

To load the firmware you need a tftp tool or drayteks firmware utility.
If you want to upload the firmware on windows, make sure, the windows firewall is set to off, and, all other software-firewalls are also disabled.
Then try to upload the firmware.

This is also documented here:
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor_reflash.html#reflash
read from: "Abnormal Firmware Conditions"

If the program fails, set your PCs adress to the address it had, when the router was still ok.
try again.

Moderators: Sami