DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2820N as Wireless Access Point

More
28 Feb 2011 21:37 #66533 by mishap
Vigor 2820N as Wireless Access Point was created by mishap
Hi There, could anyone help me out with following configuration:

I have an company with two office locations next door to each other, office 2 is connected to office 1 (the main office) via ethernet to the main office switch. DHCP is being served by a server.

In office 1 is a vigor 2920n providing internet to the wired network and providing wireless to office 1.

The wireless reach of the 2920n in office 1 is not enough to provide office 2 with coverage. I have 2820n that I would like to use to provide wireless for office 2.

Basically I just want the 2820n to act as a wireless bridge connected to the wired network providing office 2 with wireless.

Can anyone explain how i should connect and configure the 2820n in office 2?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2011 13:56 #66551 by andyjt
Replied by andyjt on topic Re: Vigor 2820N as Wireless Access Point
Our setup is probably different to yours, but I've recently added a 2nd 2820N to our network to allow wifi access to our local network.
It all depends on how your network is setup, but these are the key things I changed: (they may or may not be relevant, but it's working now so I don't care)
Turned off WAN1 and WAN2 (WAN#>General Setup>Enable>No)
Wireless LAN is configured. ie, secured and enabled
Under LAN >> General Setup
1st IP Address: eg, 192.168.1.37
set this to a unique IP on your network
remember it so you can re-access the admin of the router
nb, our DHCP server dishes out .127 to .255 so any below that are fixed and won't interfere with ones set manually by things like servers and printers.
For IP Routing Usage: Disable
RIP Protocol Control: Disable
DHCP Server Configuration: set to Relay Agent: 1st Subnet
DHCP Server IP Address for Relay Agent: 192.168.1.2 - this is the IP of your DHCP server (which may be the other Vigor in your case)
Now reboot and plug one of the router LAN ports into your network

That's it really, I think the key was to turn off DHCP (I thought it would have to be on to dish out IP's to the wifi clients, but it should be getting all those from your network's own DHCP)
So now if a wifi client connects via this 2nd Router, they have access to the network resources.
If you struggle with DNS, I imagine the Force DNS manual setting will sort that out if you enter your ISP's DNS servers.

Hope this helps.

More
01 Mar 2011 14:50 #66552 by know-dice
Replied by know-dice on topic Re: Vigor 2820N as Wireless Access Point
Just configure up the wireless SSID with whatever name and security you want.

Turn off DHCP in this box and plug the Ethernet cable from Office 1 into one of the LAN ports...

Only downside is you will have two SSIDs...

More
02 Mar 2011 14:31 #66589 by mishap
Replied by mishap on topic Re: Vigor 2820N as Wireless Access Point
Hi There,

well that was a lot simpler than i expected, connected one of the LAN ports to the network, turned off DHCP and configured the wireless. I can live with two SSIDs that's not a problem

thanks for your replies

More
03 Mar 2011 09:01 #66606 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic Re: Vigor 2820N as Wireless Access Point
You can have both SSIDs the same as long as the security isthe same. just one thing though put them on different wireless channels.

Howard

Moderators: ChrisSami