DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 Alternate Modem Firmware?

More
03 Mar 2011 21:20 #66625 by cwx
2820 Alternate Modem Firmware? was created by cwx
Is there any alternate firmware for the 2820?
I used to have a 2800v and that had an alternate version for poor quality lines, but I can't see any other versions for the 2820 on the FTP site...

I'm having a strange problem, in that I'm practically sat on the exchange, but have a relatively slow speed...
On ADSL2 I was at full speed 8128000 down and quite happy.
The exchange was upgraded and I've been bumped to ADSL2+ and was expecting to hit close to 20MB, but I'm stuck at 16 now and even the upstream is struggling.
Loop is 12dB, but SNR Margin is 10dB so I'm presuming the line is noisy and wanted to try alternate firmware to make the modem shout a little louder!

Stats:

ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A)

Running Mode : ADSL2+(G.992.5) State : SHOWTIME
DS Actual Rate : 16729650 bps US Actual Rate : 828000 bps
DS Attainable Rate : 17548000 bps US Attainable Rate : 1512683 bps
DS Path Mode : Interleave US Path Mode : Interleave
DS Interleave Depth : 96 US Interleave Depth : 8
NE Current Attenuation : 12 dB Cur SNR Margin : 10 dB
DS actual PSD : 20. 1 dB US actual PSD : 12. 6 dB
ADSL Firmware Version : 232201_A

ATU-C Info

Far Current Attenuation : 5 dB Far SNR Margin : 13 dB
CO ITU Version[0] : 00005453 CO ITU Version[1] : 00005443
DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : < TI >

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2011 09:13 #66626 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: 2820 Alternate Modem Firmware?
You can try different modem codes from here:
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2820/Firmware/V3.3.5.1/annexA/
ones like 2471201 might help

It does look as though your line is doing quite well with those line stats though, the upstream has been capped by the ISP at 828000 bps and the downstream is probably 1 or 2 megs below where it should be because the line's SNR currently appears to be 10? With ADSL2+ that should be around 6 but that's configured on the ISP's end as well.

More
04 Mar 2011 12:24 #66630 by jedi98
Replied by jedi98 on topic Re: 2820 Alternate Modem Firmware?
At the risk of asking the really obvious: Is there any chance that the cabling / sockets in your premises are causing the degradation? Has the router been tested on the master with no other sockets / phones connected (with the consumer panel on the NTE disconnected)?

More
04 Mar 2011 13:58 #66632 by cwx
Replied by cwx on topic Re: 2820 Alternate Modem Firmware?

jedi98 wrote: At the risk of asking the really obvious: Is there any chance that the cabling / sockets in your premises are causing the degradation? Has the router been tested on the master with no other sockets / phones connected (with the consumer panel on the NTE disconnected)?

The Master Socket is on the wall right as the cable comes through from outside.
It's fitted with a ADSLNation XTE-2005 faceplate filter, and there's no telephone connected.
The cable connecting to the router is a nice screened Belkin one.
There's less than 2m of cable (including BT's) from the wall entry point to the router, and the slack is even carefully laid out to reduce noise!
(I used to live miles from an exchange and bought all this to squeeze every last bit of speed from my connection).

It's just bugging me that I'm <1km, both as the crow flies and the cable runs, from the exchange, and I'm >
Also, thanks Voodle - I'm going to try the different modem codes versions later today :)

More
04 Mar 2011 20:26 #66636 by ryster
Replied by ryster on topic Re: 2820 Alternate Modem Firmware?
I was under the impression (wrongly it seems) that your had to get the firmware modem code that matched the one your router came with.

Are you saying I can use any? What are all the modem code versions for and what do they do?

More
04 Mar 2011 20:51 #66638 by jedi98
Replied by jedi98 on topic Re: 2820 Alternate Modem Firmware?

cwx wrote: The Master Socket is on the wall right as the cable comes through from outside.
It's fitted with a ADSLNation XTE-2005 faceplate filter, and there's no telephone connected.
The cable connecting to the router is a nice screened Belkin one.
There's less than 2m of cable (including BT's) from the wall entry point to the router, and the slack is even carefully laid out to reduce noise!

Oh, well that's put my bonfire right out then! You obviously know exactly what you're talking about and have eliminated all sources of in-house cable troubles. The ADSLNation filters are really top. So as I see it you have 3 possibilities: -
  1. Firmware problem, which you are obviously looking in to.

2. Rats eating your cable under the road (or equivalent damage)

3. Or, The TI (Texas Instruments) DSLAM at the BT exchange does not play well with the 2820's chipset ('course that could be F/W too).

Moderators: ChrisSami