DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 120 Hardware Reliability ?

• paul_1011
  • Topic Author
More
07 Mar 2011 11:16 #66672 by paul_1011
Vigor 120 Hardware Reliability ? was created by paul_1011
Bought one of these last week, was very easy to setup and worked perfectly for what I needed it for (connection to Firewall). But it died after a day, no lights on the unit at all and a smell of slighy burning from within.

Anyone experienced similar or just bad luck on my part?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2011 13:32 #66744 by louisjwallan
Replied by louisjwallan on topic Re: Vigor 120 Hardware Reliability ?
Paul

Sorry to hear your news. My 120 has worked faultlessly for about a year now in conjunction with an Apple AEBS, so I would like to think that your experience was an isolated case.
The only 120 hardware issue that I have heard about has concerned the power supply which some have suggested is a bit 'lightweight' and that a beefier PSU should be sought.

Regards, LA

More
13 Mar 2011 09:06 #66774 by ianmostyn
Replied by ianmostyn on topic Re: Vigor 120 Hardware Reliability ?
LA,

Do you have any more information on the PSU issue? I have two 120's that work great as a modem but they introduce a lot of noise onto the phone line, even with a decent filter. Draytek support is looking into the PSU as the cause and you just got my curiosity up if you have heard anything else about them.

Ian

More
13 Mar 2011 22:12 #66776 by louisjwallan
Replied by louisjwallan on topic Re: Vigor 120 Hardware Reliability ?
Ian

There are a number of forum articles if you search for '"Vigor 120"+PSU', such as this one from an antipodean site:

"I have confirmed that the 'standard' 9 volt / 500mA Power Supply supplied with the Draytek Vigor 120 is a major problem for loss of sync! I bench measured the 9V DC rail for both voltage and current during use. The current average is about 395mA – with peaks hitting about 900mA for short bursts...(200ms) This peak current reaches a high during line retraining and peak bandwidth – upstream + downstream.

"I replaced the supplied Vigor OEM AC Adaptor – Model No: AD-0950E with a Switch-Mode regulated 12 Volt 2 AMP rated Power Source. The previous line sync loss totally disappeared: -> Tested with a live DUAL-WAN ADSL Server for 4 days. Temperature and stability is good. Upstream speed has been bench-marked at 15% higher than with the old AC PSU.

"With the original 9V 500mA (your basic 'crude' 50Hz transformer) PSU; – my 2 x Vigor 120's were re-syncing every 15 – 40 minutes (very disruptive). Yes, both Vigor 120's are using PPPoA to PPPoE fed to a Dual-WAN Linksys RV082 Router / Gateway.

"I make note that most other xDSL Modem manufactures are using 'high grade' switched mode power supplies, and NOT your old style transformer pack (50Hz with simple 'crude' regulation).

"It seems that the Vigor series modems required more power to 'boost' the xDSL line, factored in this is the bandwidth and characteristics of the POTS line."

Regards, LA

More
16 Mar 2011 21:21 #66838 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Vigor 120 Hardware Reliability ?
That is not relevant to the UK; there is no known PSU issue in the UK and in Australia they use a different voltage/plug/PSU. Possibly there is a local issue with the PSU they use there.

Forum Administrator

Moderators: ChrisSami