BT Fibre Broadband

• johnny_UK
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Mar 2011 13:43 #66746 by johnny_UK
BT Fibre Broadband was created by johnny_UK
Hi
Will the Draytek 2820N support it? Please read info below...... I'm not too technical minded as you may have gathered

Will I need a new modem/router?

Your existing ADSL or ADSL2+ router will not work with Fibre Broadband due to the new technology, so you will require a standard (non-ADSL) router (also known to as a 'Cable router') which you can then plug the provided VDSL2 modem into and share the connection on your network.

If you only have a single machine that will be using a wired connection, you can simply just plug the provided VDSL2 modem in to the ethernet port on your machine and then setup a basic PPPoE connection via the Windows Control Panel or MAC System Preferences menu, or any operating system that can set up a PPPoE connection.

Correspondence..........

John

Checking the web, it seems that the modem can either be used on a BT or a cable based connection; the latter being important as the modem that BT installed for the FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) service is a pure modem translating the VDSL signal to Ethernet connection; this doesn't manage a login at all, so you'd need a device that does a pure PPPoE (not PPPoE over ATM like an ADSL modem) connection. If the draytek 2820n truly does this then there should be no problems using this.

Regards,

Creator: webenquiry
Date: Wed 9th Mar 11, 22:10

Do you know if the Draytek 2820n does this?

Creator: adsl24
Date: Thu 10th Mar 11, 09:23
John

Sorry - what I was trying to say was that the internet searches I've done indicate that the modem should manage this, but I cannot guarantee this.

Regards,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2011 13:56 #66747 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: BT Fibre Broadband
The 2820 series works with the modem BT supply quite well, just set up WAN2 for an ethernet connection and have it connect using PPPoE with the details that BT should have provided and that should connect :)

• johnny_UK
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Mar 2011 14:25 #66750 by johnny_UK
Replied by johnny_UK on topic Re: BT Fibre Broadband
thanks...just what I wanted to hear

Cheers

Moderators: ChrisSami