DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Router suggestion for FTTC

• megapaizao
  • Topic Author
More
15 Mar 2011 20:19 #66821 by megapaizao
Router suggestion for FTTC was created by megapaizao
Hi, soon to receive FTTC and the old faithful Vigor 2600We will no longer be with me due to incompatibility. This leaves me looking for replacement suggestions and i'd really appreciate any and all given the following set-up please...

Currently running home-build serving x2 laptops that will be at the least a good 8mtrs away (upstairs) and 10+ (down). Walls are thick also which I know is against me that end..

Laptops have the following adapters: Intel(R) Pro Wireless 3945ABG in the Thinkpad and Netgear WG511 in the daughters older Fijitsu Lifebook. Understanding these are probably prehistoric, some advice here would also be appreciated should replacement/s be required. I've been looking at the Draytek 2920n which is a lil high on my budget but I can push if another alternative isn't in its class for FTTC connection.

Cheers in advance
Cj

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2011 11:31 #66831 by know-dice
Replied by know-dice on topic Re: Router suggestion for FTTC
I have got a 2130n on FTTC works very well, but, is very limited on the VPN side if that is important to you.

More
16 Mar 2011 12:09 #66833 by weehappypixie
Replied by weehappypixie on topic Re: Router suggestion for FTTC
I got a 2830vn connected to FTTC via the WAN port and works real well but is an expensive solution.

John

• megapaizao
  • Topic Author
More
17 Mar 2011 11:10 #66842 by megapaizao
Replied by megapaizao on topic Re: Router suggestion for FTTC
Many thanks for the reply/info both! I decided on the 2130n in the end and hope to have as much trouble free connection as i've had with the older 2600we.
Cheers!
Cj

More
17 Mar 2011 11:19 #66843 by know-dice
Replied by know-dice on topic Re: Router suggestion for FTTC
I also upgraded the 2130n to firmware 1.5.0.1 from here ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2130/Firmware/V1.5.0.1/

So it now does NAT and handles all my public IP addresses in one box :D

• megapaizao
  • Topic Author
More
18 Mar 2011 12:50 #66862 by megapaizao
Replied by megapaizao on topic Re: Router suggestion for FTTC
Thanks known! :)

I just received the 2130n today and be sure to check on the firmware just as soon as i've been connected.
Unsure if you do much with wireless, but I was wondering if you could advise on the latter of my first post re adapters? I'm guessing the Intel(R) Pro Wireless 3945ABG in the Thinkpad should be ok (though could probably be bettered). The Netgear WG511 in the daughters older Fijitsu Lifebook is a concern though.. Do you think it will work with the 2130n and fibre, or also become obsolete along with the 2600We?
Thanks in advance
Cj

Moderators: ChrisSami