Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

AP-700 and WOL

• miketheman2k
  • Topic Author
More
23 Mar 2011 16:18 #66927 by miketheman2k
AP-700 and WOL was created by miketheman2k
Hi,

I am using a Draytek 2820 router and connect most of my devices to it via an AP-700 access point. I have a computer that I need to wake up remotely connected to the AP-700 however I am struggling to find a solution for doing this. I can not use the WoL built into the 2820 because the remote PC assumes the MAC address of the AP-700 so I can not bind the computers IP address to it's own MAC. Secondly the AP-700 doesn't have its own WoL functionality.

Any thoughts on how I could get this to work?

Cheers,
Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2011 16:59 #66928 by jedi98
Replied by jedi98 on topic Re: AP-700 and WOL
Hmmm.... none of the PC's should be assuming the MAC address of anything at all except their own MAC built into their wifi cards. Are you sure this is the case? The MAC address of the AP is only for remote admin of the AP, for all other traffic it should be totally transparent.

Windows: CMD >>> ipconfig /all
Linux: ifconfig

That said if it really is doing that then I need to go and re-learn a shed load of stuff :(

• miketheman2k
  • Topic Author
More
23 Mar 2011 17:38 #66929 by miketheman2k
Replied by miketheman2k on topic Re: AP-700 and WOL
Sorry I think I explained that badly. The actual PC still has its original MAC address, but as far as the 2820 is concerned (because an AP700 is in the way) the MAC address the PC reports to the 2820 is the AP700's MAC.

More
23 Mar 2011 19:14 #66930 by jedi98
That is unusual.

Is this your arrangement as per the attached this pdf http://colourfoil.co.uk/images/AP700%20Diagram.pdf ?

If so what on the 2820 is telling you that the MAC address is the one from the AP-700?
If you go to Application >> Wake on LAN then just punch in the PC's MAC, what happens?

• miketheman2k
  • Topic Author
More
24 Mar 2011 11:45 #66943 by miketheman2k
Replied by miketheman2k on topic Re: AP-700 and WOL
Thanks for the response. I'm running the AP700 in Universal Repeater mode like this...

And here is the ARP cache table on the 2820...

The computer I want to WoL is 192.168.0.200 and you can see I've tried assigning it a static IP address with the AP-700's MAC but that didn't work!

More
24 Mar 2011 15:09 #66945 by jedi98
Ah... that explains it! I thought I must be missing something.

Still, I did think that repeater mode still passed all the traffic at layer 2 as a switch. It looks from this that it is working somewhere between layer 2 & 3 as a bridge. But I am still inclined to believe that the arp screen is lying or at best misleading since proxy arp is more a function of layer 3 which is routing and I can see no way that it is "routing" traffic.

So, what does happen if you get the real MAC from the PC and type it in to the WOL screen on the router?

And one other thought, this is not something to do with WLAN 'isolation' is it? I've not really tried that properly. That said, I've not tried WOL on a WLAN either, I'm trying to work it out from first principles here :?

Moderators: ChrisSami