DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Which DrayTek ADSL Router to choose for SMD

• sridhar
  • Topic Author
More
24 Mar 2011 10:50 #66939 by sridhar
Dear Forum Members, I'm in the process of buying a new ADSL Router and we are a small business with following requirements: ADSL (BT Telephoneline), VOIP (Vonage), VPN (to allow employees to connect from internet) etc..Can you please advise which DrayTek Model will best suit all our above requirements, cost is not a factor for investing in Good ADSL Router. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2011 15:58 #66946 by jedi98
You would I think, want a 2820 series (2820n if you want WiFi, 2820Vn if you want VOIP ATA built in for analog phones). There is also the 2830 which is basically the same router with new enhanced interfaces, but it's only just come out so it's not exactly tried & tested and the 2820 is not exactly old-hat itself)

I have a 2820n and operate a VPN across 3 sites with 2 x 2820n & 1x2800, with LAN-LAN VPN & remote VPN users from laptops etc. I now have FTTC but the ADSL worked well for me when I had that. VOIP & QoS also works well and the VPN is great.

These routers are the best VALUE / features for VPN environment that you can buy by a long way. Stability is good.

Some people / reviews will tell you that these are not very fast routers. This has not been my experience and a lot does depend on the quality of the ADSL line as with any router.

IMO, for a business, if you are in a factory, or any more than a single room environment or if you have a comms room / rack I would put in a 2820 (no WiFi) and if you want wireless, wire on a strategically placed access point (AP-700, AP-800, or an other brand or model if that fits your need better) rather than try to place the router so that it's convenient for wires and wireless.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami