DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

AP 800 Setup issues

• barleymow74
  • Topic Author
More
28 Mar 2011 21:33 #67008 by barleymow74
AP 800 Setup issues was created by barleymow74
Hi, I am having issues linking an AP800 to a 2820Vn and would appreciate any advice.

I've been using a 2820Vn for a number of years without any problems but we have recently moved into a new house and I'm now experiencing issues with wireless coverage. In addition I wish to setup a desktop PC in a room that will be difficult to connect by cable back to the 2820. So, I thought I'd buy an AP 800, the aim being to connect the desktop, network storage etc to the AP 800, which will connect via wireless to the 2820 and also extend the wireless coverage in that part of the house.

I have been trying to configure the AP 800 in Universal Repeater mode, is that correct for this setup?

The problem is that I can only get a proper link with the two units connected by a cable. I've matched the wireless LAN settings, inserted details of the wireless network from the 2820 into the AP 800, configured the WDS settings on the 2820 to match the AP 800 but don't seem to be able to achieve a complete link.

I can ping the AP800 from a computer directly connected to the 2820 but not vice versa! In addition, if I go to WDS link status on the 2820, it lists the MAC address of the AP 800 but with status 'D' (Down: No traffic from this link). Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I don't know if this is related or not but do I need to enable the DHCP server on the AP 800 or, if properly connected, will computers accessing the network via the AP800 get an IP address from the 2820?

Many thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2011 08:51 #67011 by roger_vigor
Replied by roger_vigor on topic Re: AP 800 Setup issues
I had the same situation, ended up scrapping the wireless and using HomePlugs, worked a treat :D

More
30 Mar 2011 18:58 #67035 by fredsmith11
Replied by fredsmith11 on topic Re: AP 800 Setup issues
I've got exactly the same problem with an AP700 set up as a repeater and a 2710N. All the settings match, but I cannot connect wirelessly to the repeater & get to the internet. I looks so simple, but we both must be misssing something. Have you got it working yet?

More
30 Mar 2011 19:11 #67037 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic Re: AP 800 Setup issues
Have you spotted the latest 1.0.2 AP800 firmware here on the UK support site? Amazingly it's not on the global site. Came out just last week. Might this help?

• barleymow74
  • Topic Author
More
01 Apr 2011 09:11 #67053 by barleymow74
Replied by barleymow74 on topic Re: AP 800 Setup issues
Many thanks for the suggestions. I did upgarde the firmaware but the issue seems to have been that WDS is not required in universal repeater mode.

In the end I contacted the support team by email and got the following response which has worked for me.

"Universal Repeater mode is separate from WDS mode and you will only
need to configure the WDS settings on the router when the AP is
connecting via WDS.

Please try Universal Repeater mode first of all. The easiest way to
set that up will be to disable WDS on the 2820 then go to the AP800's
configuration.
On there set the Operation Mode to Universal Repeater, once that has
finished saving, go to the Wireless LAN - AP Discovery page and on
there click Scan, once it has finished scanning, select the radio
button for the network you want to connect to and click Select for
the Universal Repeater settings which will add that network's settings
to the Universal Repeater page - you will have to match the security
details but it will change the channel automatically.
With WPA2/PSK on the 2820, select WPA2 with AES encryption.

Once you've set that, click OK on there and check the Online Status
page for an IP address under Universal Repeater. Once it shows an IP
in there, you should be able to connect to the AP800's SSID(s) and
access the internet through it and the 2820."

Hope that helps.

Moderators: ChrisSami