DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

DNS problems - 3G modem, WAN2, on 2820n

• oxygendebt
  • Topic Author
More
01 Apr 2011 10:19 #67056 by oxygendebt
DNS problems - 3G modem, WAN2, on 2820n was created by oxygendebt
I need some advice. I have a Be ADSL2+ line into my 2820n (currently running 3.3.4, UK modem code) with a Vodafone branded Huawei K3260 3G stick in the USB slot.

The Vodafone stick is OK - I can connect it directly to a netbook and it connects to the internet. Signal, APN, etc all fine.

I'm having trouble accessing the internet using the 3G modem via WAN2 on the router. It appears to connect fine, and the online status of the 2820n GUI shows WAN2 is 'green' with IP addresses, gateway, DNS etc and shows packets being transmitted and received. I can ping external IP addresses from within the 2820n GUI (diagnostics menu), and on my wired LAN machines, all NICs and Skype report internet connectivity.

But I can't browse any websites from these LAN machines. In the LAN->general setup screen of the 2820n, I have the primary and secondary DNS IPs as those set by Be. The 'force DNS manual setting' button is unchecked.

Obviously the Vodafone DNS addresses (which change on each login) are different. Is this my problem with browsing websites?

many thanks

Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2011 11:33 #67058 by rpg
Sounds like you are trying to use Be DNS while on the Vodafone connection. This has been seen quite a few times !

Try using some public DNS servers like OpenDNS or Google DNS. That should resolve the problem.

Richard

• oxygendebt
  • Topic Author
More
01 Apr 2011 13:07 #67061 by oxygendebt
Replied by oxygendebt on topic Re: DNS problems - 3G modem, WAN2, on 2820n
Thanks for replying. If only it were that simple. If I check the 'force manual DNS' button and use Google (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) then I still don't get website access.....

Moderators: ChrisSami