DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Updated fw to 3.3.0 and now have DNS issues

• seb spiers
  • Topic Author
More
06 Apr 2011 09:00 #67138 by seb spiers
Hi There,

I've got a Vigor 2930 which last week was updated to 3.3.0 and since then 3 times we have failed to be able to resolve any DNS lookups through the router.
We use both WAN1 and WAN2 connections on the router and we can ping IP address on the web fine via both, but we cannot perform any DNS lookups at all.
Each time the issue has been fixed by restarting the router.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

I'm tempted to reload the firmware but it's a lot of hassle as we have nearly 150+ users dependant on this router during working hours.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2011 11:36 #67141 by voodle
To find out what's going on, try doing an "nslookup" from the command prompt and enter a hostname to check what error message you get when DNS fails.

Also, check out the Firewall - DoS Defense, UDP flood defense can cause the problem you're seeing but you can confirm that by checking the Syslog output from the router.

More
07 Apr 2011 17:43 #67175 by cityboy
I'm having the same problems. I keep losing DNS to all PC's in my house randomly. It has been since I upgraded them all to Windows 7 SP1. I've moved them all to a Windows DNS Server and this has resolved this. However there is a problem with DNS on this firmware on this device. It should also be noted that you don't need to reboot the router and DNS seems to return in about 15 minutes, but there is no consistency with the time.

More
11 Jan 2012 11:32 #70722 by ferrograph
Replied by ferrograph on topic Re: Updated fw to 3.3.0 and now have DNS issues
My router came with 3.3.0, so cant check 3.0.3

Ive been having this issue for months driving me nuts, and if it weren't for this units 2x WAN and VPN capabilities it would have been chucked out a while ago.

You can see the problem quite profoundly by running DNS Bench (http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm), an then running the same test directly connected to your modems. You will see a high number of failures with the 2930 in line, and virtually none directly connected. Ive frigged with lots of settings and none make any difference.

Very frustrating. For sure this is firmware. I would be interested to hear the results from others on this, as Im keen to get Draytek to fix this so the 2930 can qualify as advertised to be High Performance!

Thanks in advance.

Moderators: Sami