DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

28220n intermitent internet connection loss

• canthackit
  • Topic Author
More
06 Apr 2011 15:24 #67149 by canthackit
Hi
new to these Draytek routers, they are formidable to me, i've had mine for about 3 weeks, i have the problem as the subject title say's.
Intermitently i'm getting disconnected from the internet the PC a imac is getting disconnected every so often and that in turn is disconnectng from my LAN/WAN although in the configs the router and imac are showing as connected, all the ISP settings are correct as i can deter and have DHCP enabled.

If anybody can help me even to just begin where to look for the problem would help.

thanks & regards: canthackit

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• canthackit
  • Topic Author
More
13 Apr 2011 07:33 #67246 by canthackit
Replied by canthackit on topic Re: 28220n intermitent internet connection loss
23 viewings
and there's not one who has any idea of where i can start to look for the fault, on top of that i see the phone line support want 75p per minute for help, i don't think much of Draytek or their routers.

More
13 Apr 2011 09:16 #67247 by voodle
For that kind of connectivity problem you certainly don't need to contact premium support, that's for setting up VLANs and things, you can contact the internet connectivity helpline and they'd be able to help or email support as well.

The problem you're describing seems like it would be caused by the router's DoS defense if you've enabled it under the Firewall menu, specifically UDP Flood Control seems to get triggered with Macs a lot more than Windows PCs. To confirm that though you'd need to get syslog output from the router which would show dos defense messages in there if it was getting triggered.

• canthackit
  • Topic Author
More
13 Apr 2011 09:56 #67248 by canthackit
Replied by canthackit on topic Re: 28220n intermitent internet connection loss
first thanks for at least replying :D
i've just checked and as i thought the DoS defence is not enabled, all port forwarding is tcp enabled only, so the only other is to start a system log as you suggest.
thanks again.

regards: canthackit

More
07 May 2011 21:30 #67629 by e.ringrose
Replied by e.ringrose on topic Re: 28220n intermitent internet connection loss
When you loose connectivity is it the WAN (ADSL) or the local network ?

You can see if it's the ADSL from the online status page, where it will show the uptime in the WAN1 section and also TX & RX erros. It will also show the router uptime as well.

If it's the local network (LAN) can you ping the router when you loose connectivty (ping the DHCP server address) ?

What version of firmware is running ?

More
08 May 2011 12:18 #67633 by ghostworks
Replied by ghostworks on topic Re: 28220n intermitent internet connection loss
I had the same issue , no internet but router 2820VSn said still connected to both ADSL lines , had to reboot router when this happens

Best firmware i found was 3.3.3 on 2820

I disabled wireless and all VPN protocols , as well as syslog (usb syslog & to Syslog server ) and stopped crashing ( thats what i called it when the internet wasn't working )
How ever bought new 2830Vn with firmware 3.3.6

I lent out my 2820 to a mate to setup VPN for games night etc , hope it doesn't crash for him, will keep you posted

Moderators: Sami