DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2830Vn causes laptop to crash on Wired LAN

• ghostworks
  • Topic Author
More
26 Apr 2011 21:53 #67464 by ghostworks
2830Vn causes laptop to crash on Wired LAN was created by ghostworks
Since I installed the new 2830Vn to replace the 2820VSn my Gaming laptop ( Sony VPC-F11Z1E ) to crash when it has the wired LAN connection plugged in...

Notice this on day 1 since the gaming laptop has always used Wired and disabled wireless for multiplayer gaming , when it was booted it crashed straight after logon to windows and repeated till i disconnected the LAN cable.
once logged in i plugged LAN back in and crashed again 5 seconds after the LAN cable was plugged in...

I've reformatted twice over the easter holidays , updates etc and still happens

Any thoughts

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ghostworks
  • Topic Author
More
27 Apr 2011 16:46 #67483 by ghostworks
Replied by ghostworks on topic Re: 2830Vn causes laptop to crash on Wired LAN
any thoughts...

it's a Sony VAIO VPC-F11Z1E/BI , the same day i removed the 2820 and installed the 2830, after i setup the 2830 went upstairs to office where sony VPC-F11Z1E was and started her up, she asked for login details and after i hit enter she crashed ( black screen NO Desktop , mouse curser frozen ) did a manual shut down and retried , same again and again after that until i removed LAN cable from laptop and it booted up fine , logged in and ready...

but if i put cable back in it freezes ( No BSOD , just a Proper Freeze , no events , no crash report )

I rebuild the machine from a set of original recovery discs after backing up data and licences , was fine on lan connection but problem came back 3 days after rebuild.

I'm assuming it maybe either a windows update that conflicts with built-in Network card utilizing 1GB/s connection or / and Qget app which was install just before issue came back ( small program for QNAP torrent download server - RSS ) probably MTU size is to large ( jumbo rate ) for current lan cards settings ???

More
16 Jun 2011 19:39 #68287 by empi
GhostWorks,

I have had recently a similar issue on the customer site. Replaced an old BT wifi router with the brand new 2830 and within 3 minutes three Windows XP SP3 machines crashed. When staff reported that I was thinking it's a silly prank, but unfortunately it was not. W7 workstations and CentOS server were just fined, but I it took me a while to figure out what is going on with these XP machines. I spent at least half a day and discovered that it is a DHCP related problem. If I had ethernet cards setup to use DHCP all three machines were crashing during Windows boot or logon process. Maybe once I managed to logon, but it froze completely after a few seconds.

At the end I set up static IPs and with this configuration it's been working fine for last couple of weeks. Try static IP settings on your laptop, it should fix your problem as well. It's actually a bodge rather than real fix. I will get back to this problem at some stage, perhaps when a new firmware for 2830 comes out. .

Also, I am dealing with a very poor wifi performance on my own 2820. Must say that recently I am not impressed with Draytek and for now I stopped recommending it to my customers.

Best regards,
empi

• ghostworks
  • Topic Author
More
16 Jun 2011 23:09 #68290 by ghostworks
Same here , used to recommend them , my 2800 was the best ever , still got it for backup / emergency ...

I found it was Kaspersky internet security , once I removed it all was good , originally only effected the wired connection but not wifi , installed a usb to wired network which cause the problem to affect the new connect and the wifi , so ended up finding it was kaspersky and removed

More
21 Jan 2012 01:34 #70868 by john rumm
Replied by john rumm on topic Re: 2830Vn causes laptop to crash on Wired LAN

GhostWorks wrote: any thoughts...

but if i put cable back in it freezes ( No BSOD , just a Proper Freeze , no events , no crash report )

Just had a similar issue on a customers site. Installed a 2830n, and a Dell win 7 i5 laptop started crashing as you describe when it connected to the wifi. Swapped back to the old discrete wifi WAP they used to use, and disabled the 2830's internal wifi, and the same issue. Tried via a lan cable instead, same problem. Reverted to original router, both wifi and lan ok again.

Hence I assumed it was probably DHCP related, however did not have a chance to prove it since the chap who used the laptop was desperate to get on with some work! So will have to try manually configuring a static IP etc.

• ghostworks
  • Topic Author
More
21 Jan 2012 11:05 #70869 by ghostworks
Which anti-virus was on the laptop ?

I found that kaspersky was causing it with the 2830, I changed to norton

Moderators: Sami