DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2820 RX CRC errors and slow download

• nps
  • Topic Author
More
10 May 2011 12:28 #67674 by nps
Had the router a few months and just noticed my WAN1 has very little traffic on it over time compared with WAN2. I unplugged WAN2 and found that internet is very slow. Google takes over 30 seconds to load.
I realised I have a very high value for RX CRC errors. Im getting them at about 100 per second. The line is a BT one. Im about 3 miles from the exchange and am getting 9db SNR and 51 Loop Attenuation.
The Vigor is 2820
Model Name : Vigor2820Vn
Firmware Version : 3.3.4.1_232201
Build Date/Time : Sep 8 2010 15:39:30
ADSL Firmware Version : 232201_A Hardware: Annex A

Is this likely to be a BT problem of Vigor?

Also how do I configure the Vigor so that just one IP on my lan access the WAN1 and all other ips use WAN2 so I can test wan1 without inconveniencing anyone else?
Thanks, Nigel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2011 13:09 #67675 by j03y
Is this a new ADSL line? Are you connected to the master socket? Can you describe your wiring?

What you need to configure is WAN > Load Balancing policy. Never used it myself, should be straightforward, but refer to the manual for the best explanation.

• nps
  • Topic Author
More
10 May 2011 13:29 #67676 by nps
The BT wall socket is eight inches away from router. BT splitter plugged in socket then cable direct to router WAN1 port.
I havent used the line much for broadband, only for a fax line and works fine. I'm used it did work when first installed in Nov last year. I have had it as a backup so not been worried about it until now.

More
10 May 2011 16:26 #67681 by g6ifs
You have said your software is 3.3.4.1 Then get rid of it FAST (and I mean FAST!!). It is the worst software ever released for the 2820 series. Why Draytek left it available for so long I just don't know. Just look through this forum and you will see the many issues.
One of it's many problems being slow downloads! There is 3.3.5.2 now on the UK site and it seems to be working much better and most of the bugs in 3.3.4.1 have been dealt with, most were sorted in 3.3.5.1 but this was not put on the uk site for some reason.

More
10 May 2011 16:31 #67682 by j03y
This is fast looking like a problem you'll have to relay to BT as it could be an issue with cabling before the master socket. I do have a few more suggestions but you should probably give them a call and maybe save yourself the hassle.

From what you describe it doesn't sound like internal wiring but first just make sure you have nothing that'inadvertentlyly been plugged into another telephone socket without a filter. Has happened to me at home thanks to a Sky engineer so do check!

Next try unplugging everything from any BT socket in the house. Remove the faceplate from your BT master socket and plug into the test socket at the bottom right.

If you are still getting the errors don't plug everything back in just yet; try a few other filters. Ifdoesn'tesnt't work try another telephone cable if you can. This more or less rules out anything in your premises.

Failing that do you have another modem to test with? That would rule out any hardware / firmware error on the 2820.

• nps
  • Topic Author
More
11 May 2011 10:10 #67690 by nps
I rebooted the vigor and the problem went away. I think I will load the latest software and so how she goes. Thanks to all who contributed.

Moderators: Sami