DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

New 2830 - Intermittent Outlook Anywhere access

• adamjasanders
  • Topic Author
More
15 May 2011 10:06 #67766 by adamjasanders
I replaced an old router with a new Draytek 2830 Dual WAN router. Immediately remote users started complaining that their Outlook was coming up with the "Connection to Microsoft Exchange has been lost" messages - that disappear after a few seconds.

I've tried various things -
Changing the load balancing settings so that all traffic from the Exchange server goes through WAN1 on the router

Changing the load balancing settings so that all traffic from the Exchange server goes through WAN2 on the router

Changing the external address for the outlook anywhere clients so that it comes in through WAN2

I'm pretty confident that it's something to do with the router - we never had these problems before. Having a little look around I'm wondering whether it's something to do with packet size? But we're getting to a technical understanding that's possibly out of my league

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2011 21:25 #67771 by admin
Might be MTU, check DoS protection, fragmented packet protection, any type of content filtering enabled, er... can you put the old router back on to compare ?

Forum Administrator

• adamjasanders
  • Topic Author
More
16 May 2011 00:39 #67774 by adamjasanders
Replied by adamjasanders on topic Re: New 2830 - Intermittent Outlook Anywhere access
Thanks for the reply - been banging my head against a brick wall on this one

Yep - Old router fixes it instantly

I've tried changing ppp_mss to 1300 (from 1442?) - made no difference
Changed mtu and mtu2 to 1400 (from 1500) - made no difference

DOS defence isn't enabled, no content filtering ...

Can't find anything on fragmented packet protection?

Interestingly, on RDP'ing from home to a machine in the office, I noticed the connection would become unstable every few minutes and freeze - so I tried RDP'ing through the other WAN's IP address .... when one would freeze - both would freeze, so it seems less of a network / connection issue and more a router issue itself. We've noticed the internet responding slowly occasionally in the office but dismissed it as some kind of DNS issue.

Thanks, Adam

More
16 May 2011 09:17 #67775 by admin
Not sure then, sorry. I'd raise a support ticket and get it looked at formally.

Forum Administrator

• adamjasanders
  • Topic Author
More
16 May 2011 09:22 #67778 by adamjasanders
Replied by adamjasanders on topic Re: New 2830 - Intermittent Outlook Anywhere access
OK - well thanks for your help!

• adamjasanders
  • Topic Author
More
16 May 2011 12:52 #67784 by adamjasanders
I emailed Draytek and got this as a response:

Thanks for the e-mail. Draytek router use standard http & https port for their management.It is recommended that you should changes these management ports if doing port forwarding to other device in network.Have you changes the HTTPS management port on router?

What on *earth* has that got to do with anything? I have a feeling this router is going to to be put in its box and sent back ....

Moderators: Sami