Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

SNMP setup

• mrdraytek
  • Topic Author
More
20 May 2011 16:40 #67862 by mrdraytek
SNMP setup was created by mrdraytek
Hello All!

I have a DrayTek 2820vn router with v3.3.4.1 firmware. I also have a FreeBSD 8.2 server which is my email/web server (I have port forwarding setup on the router).

What I would like to do it closely monitor the activity on my router such as daily/monthy/hourly bandwidth usage. Incoming/outgoing traffic, number of connections, different protocols etc etc. Basically anything that is possible with this particular router. From what I understand SNMP can help me monitor this type of usage, is this correct? I have enabled SNMP on the router but am unsure how to proceed. Ideally I would like all the info to be sent to my FreeBSD server so it can be graphed there and viewed in a web page.

Can someone let me know if I am on the right path and if I am:

How do I setup/configure SNMP

and how does one graph all this info/data so that it can be viewed in a web page?

Many thanks everyone :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2011 19:29 #67890 by sbv3000
Replied by sbv3000 on topic Re: SNMP setup
take a look at smartmonitor;

http://draytek.co.uk/products/SmartMonitor.html

that will probably do what you want

More
01 Jun 2011 18:15 #68016 by iamq-yesiam
Replied by iamq-yesiam on topic Re: SNMP setup
What SNMP info do you want ?

Smart monitor is no use with something like MRTG which I suspect the OP is trying to do.

If you have no experience of SNMP at all then you might want to do some reading befor hand otherwise it might be a long journey.

SNMP
Routers2CGI
All4CGI
RRDTool

Are all things your going to need - if you don't know anything about any of them - stick to smart monitor. If you have the time to play and learn then feel free to post & I'll reply as & when I can.

The Draytek's do quite well at SNMP I run it on all mine logging to central management servers. There are a number of OID's that have not been implimented or are missing, but you get the main stuff like traffic, SnR, Sync etc.

Download the MIB's from the draytek website too.

You can *not* monitor the Wifi on the 2820 with SNMP at all = Draytek FAIL
You can *not* monitor individual 'LAN' ports with SNMP at all = Draytek FAIL

There are a number of other things that you can't monitor at all via SNMP

If you want more help let us know.

Moderators: Sami