DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor2830 LAN Config Pages

• vince197
  • Topic Author
More
16 Jun 2011 22:20 #68289 by vince197
Vigor2830 LAN Config Pages was created by vince197
Hello all. I acquired a 2830 this week as a test unit for a multi site rollout and I have to say the lack of documentation is causing headaches.
I have most of the core functions up and running well with the overall throughput higher than other devices in use.
The challenge I have is with the LAN config pages . The sub-netting and VLAN pages seem to have some config dependencies that are simply not logical.
The port mapping logic and VLAN logic just doesn't make sense. Neither does the DHCP and DNS logic for that matter.
My gut tells me that the function is there but the lack of documentation is killing the implementation. eg. I can't even confirm if the default VLAN class C address range has been hard coded or can be customised. If I can't get some clarity around this soon, the 2830 will be going back to the vendor.

regards

Vince

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2011 17:32 #68442 by francisbrand
Replied by francisbrand on topic Re: Vigor2830 LAN Config Pages
I agree on documentation. Any wiser?

• vince197
  • Topic Author
More
23 Aug 2011 10:02 #69121 by vince197
Replied by vince197 on topic Re: Vigor2830 LAN Config Pages
Just thought I would come back to this with some comments, now that I have been working with the 2830 for a couple of months.

Upside:
I really like the feature set on this box.
The modem is very stable with excellent thoughput.
The firewall seems robust and has bounced a significant amount of hack traffic.
Latest beta FW seems to have addressed most of the issues.

Downside:
The documentation is unintentionally vague, or misleading ( occasionally wrong )
The firmware that the device shipped with, was dysfunctional for everything except the very basics.
A lot of the advanced functions have had the default addressing schemes hard coded into the FW. ( my observation only )
Needs good technical knowledge to setup. This is not a click the options and forget box.

Summary. This could be a really great product. But Draytek seriously need to finish writing the firmware, before they market the box.
And they need to hire good technical document writers to provide clear and accurate support documentation.
Would I buy these for a multi site commercial roll out ? mmmm maybe not.
Would I buy one for home or small office ? Definitely... I had a lot of fun getting the 2830 to work.. (much better than a cryptic crossword puzzle)

Vince197

More
10 Feb 2012 16:52 #71150 by rj
Replied by rj on topic Re: Vigor2830 LAN Config Pages
Hi,

Check : http://www.draytek.com/user/SupportAppnotesDetail.php?ID=983

regards,

rj

Moderators: Sami