DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Adding a Wireless AP to Vigor 2820Vn

• maxbrooker
  • Topic Author
More
11 Jul 2011 19:20 #68548 by maxbrooker
Adding a Wireless AP to Vigor 2820Vn was created by maxbrooker
I use my Vigor 2820Vn as my main router and I have connected a wireless Access Point to extend the range of my home network - a TP-Link TL-WA701ND, which us set up in universal repeater mode.

I can access internet through the AP, but CANNOT access file sharing or itunes libraries from other computers connected to the Vigor. However I can see computers connected to the AP from computers behind the Vigor.

I have tried all sorts of alternative settings on the AP as recommended by TP-Link support without success and they say that it must be a setting on the Vigor that is stopping me from seeing anything connected to it.

I have tried activating the Vigor bridge and repeater modes using the MAC address of the AP and still no success. I have also tried it with WDS and still no luck.

All computers connected behind the Vigor can see each other and file sharing is not a problem.

Are there other settings I should check or try?

Many thanks,
Max

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2011 16:47 #70113 by mikerayjones
Replied by mikerayjones on topic Re: Adding a Wireless AP to Vigor 2820Vn
Hi Max

I hope you found an answer to your question; I am hoping you can solve mine! I have a Vigor 2820n and two TL-WA701NDs which I bought to deal with dead spots at home. I have tried setting them up as repeaters (with WDS) and universal - all with no success. They appear to work, for a short while, then they pull the whole wireless environment down (devices can't even connect to the Vigor) - it stays down until I switch off both the TP-Link boxes.

I'd be really keen to see your settings - assuming all works well for you. Even without file sharing or itunes libraries would be good!

Hope to hear from you.

Thanks
Mike.

More
19 Nov 2011 12:34 #70158 by gmegson
Replied by gmegson on topic Re: Adding a Wireless AP to Vigor 2820Vn
You could try one more thing first (if not already), when you use an AP in repeater mode the MAC address is generally incremented by 1 - so for instance with my vigor 2820n I have the WDS screen set up with....

Wireless LAN/WDS
Mode: repeater - security: pre-shared - pre-shared key: WPA2
Repeater: enabled and MAC address of AP repeater (....0c 0c 10)
Access Point functions: enabled

I use MAC security for the 2820n AP so in the access control for Wireless I have the MAC of the repeater plus one (....0c 0c 11).

On the AP (Edimax EW-7416APNv2)
mode: Univeral Repeater
MAIN ESSID: same as SSID for 2820n
Channel number: same as 2820n
Security: WPA with same key as in 2820n pre-shared
MAC security: enabled with local client macs

That works for me :D

Also running firmware:

Model Name : Vigor2820n
Firmware Version : 3.3.7_232201
Build Date/Time : Oct 27 2011 11:20:43
ADSL Firmware Version : 232201_A Hardware: AnnexA

Not currently on the Draytek UK site (as of 19/11/2011) but available on Global Draytek site: http://www.draytek.com

More
24 Nov 2011 10:36 #70202 by mikerayjones
@gmegson: Thanks for the reply. I hadn't got the latest firmware, so tahnks again for the tip; got it now.

My setup works fine with root ap and one repeater; but the whole wireless network dies when I add the second repeater. Weird.

Mike.

More
24 Nov 2011 20:41 #70212 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: Adding a Wireless AP to Vigor 2820Vn
Two wireless repeaters breaking things makes sense if the APs are in universal repeater mode and you've got all of them with the same SSID - when set up like that, the APs will just connect to each other and everything falls over. The AP800 kinda gets around that by linking to a MAC address but for multiple AP setups you're better off using WDS.

More
24 Nov 2011 22:36 #70215 by mikerayjones
Thanks Voodle, but they are in Repeater/WDS mode rather than Universal Repeater.

I've also tried daisy chaining them, that is repeater 1 is both the repeater for the Vogor root AP and the AP for repeater 2. The result was the same.

Mike.

Moderators: Sami