Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Web content restriction, some IP objects, scheduled times

• bdr200
  • Topic Author
More
19 Jul 2011 09:29 #68660 by bdr200
Hi,

I have setup a 2820n follows.

I have specified fixed IP address allocation for certain MAC addresses, i.e. kids computers, XBox, iPods.
These fixed addresses are contained in a group.
I have defined web content objects to contain key words such as Facebook, MSN, etc.
I have defined schedule objects to cover 00:00 to 23:59 and for 22:00 to 07:00.

Objectives
Allow general web access 24/7 for all none specified clients.
For the specific IP Group containing the kids devices I want to limit access to certain web content between certain scheduled hours.

I have tried using the defined objects against various combinations of settings within the firewall data filter. It would appear that I can only achive a full block of sites for all client devices and at all times. I want to allow combinations such as my wife can access Facebook at all times but the kids can only access it within restricted hours.

A sequential guide to how i set this up would be much appreciated. Many thanks in anticipation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2011 09:25 #68861 by radiohead
Hi bdr200. I have exactly the same problem although I have managed to make the schedule work (of a fashion). I've been pulling my hair out trying
to limit the kids internet access via the time schedule. One MAJOR problem with the Draytek time schedules and the firewall is the INABILITY to close off established connections on a time schedule expiry. It only seems to stop NEW connections being established when the schedule is active.
I have a schedule that blocks internet access to the kids PC's at 9.00pm. So, at 8.55 they start playing an online game. As long as they keep playing the connection stays up. Happy days !! This has to be the one of easiest thing to fix but it's completely baffled me. Good luck bdr200 with finding a solution. Let me know if you do !

• bdr200
  • Topic Author
More
24 Nov 2011 08:48 #70199 by bdr200
Hi Radiohead,

Thanks for your comments. Although we have not solved the problem your observations are interesting and imply there is a problem with the router firmware. The combination of features appears to be in place but they just don't work.

Brian

More
24 Nov 2011 09:21 #70200 by voodle
You should check out the 3.3.7 firmware for the router, it actually adds an option in the filter rules to do exactly what that guy said it can't do which is close off sessions when the schedule entry starts/ends. This page pretty much shows what you need to configure to have a scheduled internet block rule: http://draytek.com/user/SupportAppnotesDetail.php?ID=1281

More
25 Nov 2011 08:08 #70218 by radiohead
Hi Voodle, is the 3.3.7 firmware for the 2820n router ?
Regards Radiohead

More
25 Nov 2011 08:27 #70219 by voodle
yup, you can get it from the draytek UK site

Moderators: Sami