DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2830 driving me nuts - arp voip gigaset issue

• craigski
  • Topic Author
More
30 Sep 2011 09:12 #69549 by craigski
We have problems with 2830, where VoIP telephones will be unable to register after a period of 1 to 3 days. The only solution is to reboot draytek 2830, and the VoIP phones will register OK (Siemens Gigaset). Restarting the VoIP phones has not effect, only restarting the draytek will solve the issue.

Closer inspection shows there is a BUG with the ARP table on the draytek 2830. For some reason the ARP entry of the Gigaset dissappears from the draytek, and the draytek is inable to communicate with the VoIP phone.

2830 is NOT running DHCP - I know there have been some DHCP issues.

I have attempted to 'ip arp flush' on draytek, to clear cache, this does not fix issue.

I have attempted to change the 'ip arp accept 1' setting, to allow illegal arp reply packets, again no good.

Anyone else seeing these type of issues? We are seeing this on multiple networks, multiple 2830's.

Easy test if you do see this:

1. From a PC on same LAN as device you are having issues with, try a ping, ping will be OK.
2. From Draytek 2830 try ping to same IP address as you used in 1, this will fail
3. On PC check your ARP table on PC run 'arp -a' in CMD window, check to see the IP address of the device having issues, you should see this
4. Telnet to 2830, and run 'ip arp status' if the IP address is missing, you have this issue.

I have even tried adding manul entry on 2830, but this does not work.

Rebooting 2830 everyday is annoying, especially as the 2800 it replaced did not have this issue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2011 14:18 #69648 by rpssupport
Replied by rpssupport on topic Re: 2830 driving me nuts - arp voip gigaset issue
Seeing exactly the same issue on a number of our customers sites, as you said issue was not there on 2820s, we need a fix quickly from Draytek for this.

More
13 Oct 2011 18:49 #69683 by daviesap
I may have this issue too - the only difference for me is rebooting the phone seems to fix it temporarily (for another couple of days or so)

My technical knowledge isn't good enough to get into ARP tables.

My 2830 is running DHCP - but I have a fixed IP for the Voip phone outside of the DHCP pool.

Could this be the same issue or something similar?

More
18 Oct 2011 09:03 #69719 by daviesap
I emailed Draytek Tech Support and they came back very quickly with a beta version.

Has been installed only 18 hours or so - so too early to say, but they seemed to know what the issue was and were pretty sure the Beta software would fix it.

I will report back in a few days to let you know what happens. Need this to work!

Andrew

More
25 Oct 2011 14:39 #69803 by eric.jansen
Replied by eric.jansen on topic Re: 2830 driving me nuts - arp voip gigaset issue

daviesap wrote: I emailed Draytek Tech Support and they came back very quickly with a beta version.

Has been installed only 18 hours or so - so too early to say, but they seemed to know what the issue was and were pretty sure the Beta software would fix it.

I will report back in a few days to let you know what happens. Need this to work!

Andrew

Hi Andrew,
I'm running into same issue using a 2830n and Gigaset N300A. Currently the only way to get a stable Voip registration is by reserving a DHCP addres for the Gigaset and to set this assigned addres as fixed on the Gigaset N300A.

As you mentioned a possible fix in a beta firmware, has this indeed fixed your issue?

• craigski
  • Topic Author
More
26 Oct 2011 09:50 #69814 by craigski
I have been running the 'beta_0414' version supplied by Seg/Draytek support for 12 days now, and the SIP registration issue seems to have been resolved, ie I have not had to restart the 2830.

This version has also resolved another VPN issue I was experiencing where a IPsec/SSL VPN connection from wireless on 2830 would often drop and need to reauthenticate. The wired LAN would not have this issue, only the 2830 wireless. This also seems to have been resolved.

My only dissappointment was that Seg/Draytek could not provide me with any release notes for this beta, they just said try this and let us know how you get on. I think if they are supplying beta software to customers/dealers they should be providing some release notes, so we can make an decision if we want to apply the beta or not.

Anyway I look forward to an official release of this and hope that nothing else breaks when officially released.

Moderators: Sami