DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Virtual Windows 7 VPN - connection drops after 20 secs

• robhawkins
  • Topic Author
More
25 Oct 2011 17:51 #69807 by robhawkins
Hi there,

We've been using a Draytek 2920Vn now for the best part of a year - we have a user that dials in over VPN, for the last year from an XP virtual machine. No problems. Pretty solid. Connection drops occasionally but all in all works reasonably well.

Today we spent most of the day trying to do the same thing (with the same person) with a new Windows 7 virtual machine. We can get it to connect, and we can ping servers on our network. Roughly every 20 seconds the vpn connection disconnects. It has driven us insane. Is there something really obvious we should be doing?

The XP virtual (on the same host) is still fine. Any help would be appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2011 13:55 #70234 by pgudge
I've had a nightmare getting users on a stable VPN connection with that Draytek 2820. Previously we were on IPCop with their OpenVPN and I never had a single support issue with it. But the Draytek seems to struggle with VPN Dial in's.

I have a Lan2Lan setup which is rock solid, but remote dial in's seem to be very flakey. PPTP, L2TP, IPSec I've tried them all. The best connection I can get the users on is using the ShrewSoft VPN Client, although it does also disconnect, but not as often as Win Vista/7 native VPN software.

Most of the users with really bad connections to the Draytek, i.e. drop outs, disconnects etc when I get them to do a test on pingtest.net they get quite a bad rating, as if the Draytek don't cope very well with timeouts/latency etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami