Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

WiFi connectivity Issues

• robster
  • Topic Author
More
31 Oct 2011 21:59 #69875 by robster
WiFi connectivity Issues was created by robster
Hi

I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on an issue I seem to be having.

My Vigor 2830n seemed to have been working well for a good number of months however recently I have been experiencing strange connectivity issues over WiFi.

Devices refusing to connect (not geting a DHCP connection I think is the issue) unless I reboot the router.

As soon as I reboot all issues normally go away at least for a little while.

My IP pool is some 130 addresses and I never seem to get much above 30 actually used.

This is causing all sorts of confusion and frustration in my household.

Any advice or help would be hugely appreciated.

Robin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2011 14:44 #70031 by bandicoot
Replied by bandicoot on topic Re: WiFi connectivity Issues
I have a 2820 (non-wireless model) with three wireless access points (two netgear pro and one cisco). At first I put the problem I have with laptops not getting dhcp addresses down to the first two neteag access points, but a brand new cisco does the same thing. Almost all laptops connecting wirelessly will not get a DHCP address, it just times out. Any machine asking for a wired IP will get one straight away. I have plugged an access point direct in to the back of the 2820 to rule out a block on the network. The draytek and the cisco are both on the latest firmware. I have ruled out the access points, the computers or wifi adaptors, any other part of the network so it has to be the router. Any ideas on how to sort this would be great. I restarted the router yesterday and still got the same issue, althoguh I must admit the restart was a remote on after the firmware upgrade. I will try theon off switch this time to see if that helps.

More
17 Nov 2011 14:59 #70125 by bandicoot
following advice from draytek support, I have reduced the lease time on dhcp from 3 days to 1 day and at the moment it seems fine. If it fails again, will let you know.

More
22 Nov 2011 20:18 #70187 by sp0
Replied by sp0 on topic Re: WiFi connectivity Issues
I have had a similar problem driving us crazy for a few weeks. There are three wireless access points on our (non-wifi) Draytek 2920 router. Once in a while all wifi devices stop being able to connect.

Like the OP, we were blaming the wireless access points (Ubiquiti UniFi) until I threw a different make of access point on the network, and I think it gave the same problem.

We think (but are not completely sure) that only Apple wifi clients (IOS and OSX) are affected. We have Logitech Squeezeboxes and these keep soldiering on, as do some other devices ... or maybe it's just that those haven't tried to renew their connection. The wireless router is logging a "reason 15" which means "WPA handshake didn't complete after multiple retries". The client associates, then is deauthenticated 3 seconds later.

Bandicoot: Were your devices Apple devices?

I can't find out how to change DHCP lease expiry (per Bandicoot's suggestion) - where on the 2920 web interface do I find that?

Thanks

More
24 Nov 2011 12:47 #70204 by bandicoot
Hi. One was Apple (an ipad) but my laptop (Fujitsu) and a couple of Dell laptops had the same issue. I use my laptop on a lot of wifi networks and havent had a problem with any apart from this office.

More
24 Nov 2011 12:50 #70205 by bandicoot
re altering the lease period, you cant do it in the gui, you have to telnet.

Command is
srv dhcp leasetime [enter time in seconds here without brackets]

I set to one day ie 86400 so...

srv dhcp 86400

Moderators: Sami