DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Routing all users of one WIFI AP to a seperate WAN port

• oliverm
  • Topic Author
More
04 Nov 2011 08:29 #69927 by oliverm
Hi

We have a request to create a setup that allows all the users of one WIFI AP to be routed over a specific WAN port. The customer has two lines. One is an ADSL line, which is fast on the download and slow on the upload, and one is a slower fibre line, which is slow on the download but much faster upload speeds than the ADSL line.

Most of their traffic is routed over the fibre by default with the ADSL as a backup. However sometimes they want to download some large files and it kills the fibre line and isn't very fast. They want to have a WIFI SSID called "DOWNLOADS" which people will connect to knowing that they will go on the ADSL and be able to download at 3x the speed and leave the fibre for important work. They can then reconnect to the other SSIDs once they are done.

They have a 2820 and an AP800.

The AP800 supports a secondary virtual WIFI AP using Lan B. This can be set up as a DHCP server and on a seperate IP range. The 2820 supports a secondary LAN IP range, and the use of a separate IP range would allow me to create a load balancing rule to say "all traffic from the_other_IP_range goes over WAN1 and not WAN2". However if I set this up I can connect to the DOWNLOAD SSID, I get assigned an IP on the new range and I can ping the secondary IP of the 2820 but I can't get internet access.

The 2820 appears to only support external IPs as the secondary IP range and it's used for IP routing to a DMZ style server internally so traffic doesn't get NAT'd to the external IP of the router and thus doesn't route correctly.

Can anyone think of a way I can achieve this ? It would appear that we are so close to getting it working with what's there that I can almost smell success.

Olly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• oliverm
  • Topic Author
More
18 Nov 2011 11:02 #70138 by oliverm
No one got any ideas on this? I've been researching and while I can't find any solutions specific to the hardware in place there does seem to be a lot of people wanting to create this kind of set up.

More
18 Nov 2011 12:16 #70142 by voodle
With the 2820 it's not so easy unfortunately, with the 2830 you could set up a different IP range and set up load balance rules that way.

The 2820 doesn't do multiple LAN subnets and its VLAN is port based only so you can't assign an IP range in the subnet to a physical port and apply rules that way.

If you've got an internal DHCP server you can do it to a certain extent by using the AP800 as a secondary DHCP server if you VLAN that off from the rest of the network - you could then use the IP range assigned by that to set up a load balance policy that would work how you need it to.

• oliverm
  • Topic Author
More
18 Nov 2011 12:36 #70143 by oliverm
so you mean have the internal DHCP assigned IPs from .1 to .100 and then the AP800 to assign .101 to 254. Attach the AP800 to port 2 (for example) on the 2820 and then vlan port 2. Then create a load balacing rule stating that any machine with IP .101 to .254 is routed over wan1 and anything with an IP of .1 to .100 goes over wan2.

Is that about right?

does this still allow the AP800 to use two SSIDs in virtual lan mode, one called INTERNAL and one called PUBLIC with PUBLIC being the secondary with the new DHCP range and INTERNAL being on the current DHCP range? (if that makes sense)

More
20 Nov 2011 03:17 #70168 by voodle
Yeah that's pretty much it, trouble is you can't use the 2820's internal DHCP server for that since it'd go to both VLANs, if you've got a DHCP server on your internal network then it'll work just as you've written there.

Moderators: Sami