Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Firmware Upgrade - "User mode is off now!"

• akwe-xavante
  • Topic Author
More
23 Nov 2011 17:53 #70193 by akwe-xavante
Firmware Upgrade - "User mode is off now!" was created by akwe-xavante
Ooooops!

Just upgraded my 2820N routers firmware to the current version.

Everything's working fine, i have local and internet access as usual etc as far as i can tel.

However when i try to login to the router to check the firmware version, in other words make sure all my customised settings are present and correct and make sure the firmware did actually upgrade sucessfully i get a login error

"User mode is now off"

Can anyone help me with this, what should i do.

Don't want to switch it off or anything just yet, just in case!

Hope somebody can help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• akwe-xavante
  • Topic Author
More
23 Nov 2011 18:20 #70195 by akwe-xavante
Replied by akwe-xavante on topic Re: Firmware Upgrade - "User mode is off now!"
Panic Over, i think.

Previosly all i had to do was enter a password only "No Username at all, left blank"

Having now entered a username as admin and my password i'm now in.

Always thought entering a password and no username was odd!

More
25 Nov 2011 01:57 #70216 by richard2
Replied by richard2 on topic Re: Firmware Upgrade - "User mode is off now!"
Thank you for posting the solution, akwe-xavante. This also made me panic after upgrading my Vigor 2820n.

How could DrayTek possibly omit such vital information from the change log? Do they think it's acceptable to lock their customers out of their own routers? :x

More
27 Nov 2011 10:24 #70229 by mercury
Had exactly the same issue. The only place I could find the fix was on the Draytek UK Support page with the default passwords for each machine, where it just happens to mention that fact. No mention in the change log and the User Manual also still states no password required.

I was doing a full rst, and had the change log and manual up, then carried out the reset and suddenly nothing worked. Great going guys!

Come on Draytek, this is very basic Release Management, Configuration Management and Quality Control stuff and you really should not be making such basic errors. You sell your kit as business oriented, but business expects more, especially in a key area which could have resulted in loss of revenue simply because no one thought to mention that the password design had been altered.

Vigor 2600, 2820vn, 2850Vn, AP700v1, AP800, N65.
Radio Engineer & IT Project Manager

More
05 Jan 2012 12:48 #70675 by tourcd
I've just come across this issue. Thanks to the posts here I was able to log in using my usual password and "admin" in the user name field.

Dreadful DrayTek, come on!

More
26 Apr 2012 09:45 #72031 by tinley
I have just upgraded and found this same issue, but cannot resolve it with the information posted.

I previously logged in to my Vigor2820 with blank username and password. I have tried all combinations using admin/admin, admin/blank, etc...

BUT, I do get a different message depending on what I enter. If I type admin/blank I get no message but still do not get past the login screen. If I type blank/blank I get the message 'User Mode is off now. If I type anything else I get the message 'The username or password you entered is incorrect'.

I really don't want to reset the router and re-enter all the firewall settings, so if anyone has any ideas please?

This seems to be a browser related issue. I have just logged in fine on another PC on the network, but the old PC that I conveniently use for administering the network will still no longer log in using IE8 since the update. So resetting the router is unlikely to help!

OK, got it working now by resetting the privicy and security settings in IE8.

I hope my lesson learned helps someone else!!!

Moderators: ChrisSami