DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2850vn Wan1(fast) for fast Internet Wan2 (slow) email

• sergeuk
  • Topic Author
More
30 Nov 2011 17:00 #70282 by sergeuk
I have purchased a dual wan port router so users have fast internet over WAN1 VDSL (1ststatic IP with bt infinity) while exchange email (2nd static IP) is pointed to my small business server on port 25 from my very slow WAN2 connection.

This option seemed to tick all the boxes as I now have fast fibre internet on WAN1 while email comes in /out over slow WAN2, this setup means i do not need to go through the stress of moving my email ip to BT I also have backup internet should one service fail.

I am having trouble getting all internet requests to use WAN1 ,at present data flow monitor shows some users are still connected to slow WAN2 when they request a web page. I have tried
1. Load Balance Mode: auto weight / according to line speed
but some users are still directed to the slower wan2 connection.
2. I would be grateful of a working example of a load balance policy that would achieve this please ?

Thanks in anticipation

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Nov 2011 23:27 #70286 by voodle
You're going to need to set WAN1 as the default route so that only load balance policies can put stuff over WAN2.
To do that, go into the telnet interface and enter "ip route default wan1" there should be an FAQ on the UK site on accessing the router through telnet if you haven't done that before.
That'll put all traffic through WAN1, from there configure a load balance policy (click the index/link) and enter these settings:

Protocol: TCP
WAN: WAN2 - auto failover ticked unless mail would be rejected coming from WAN1
source & destination IP: ignore
destination port: 25

make another rule for TCP 110 (pop3) and whichever other ports your email server is using to make them go through wan2 too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami