Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek 2820 Content filtering

• unrealone1
  • Topic Author
More
05 Dec 2011 19:28 #70354 by unrealone1
Draytek 2820 Content filtering was created by unrealone1
Hi there,

I am pulling my hair out over this, for something reasonably straight forward - seems to be very complicated. Web content filtering seems to be in about 3 places? 1) Firewall > general setup 2) Firewall - filter setup 3) CSM - Webcontent filtering

I want to block facebook and twitter 7days a week at these times 0900-1200 then 1400-1800.

The time on the router is correct and I have paid for and activated the Globeview license.

1) Under Applications > schedule, I put 2 inputs for above time durations.
2) Under Objects settings > Keyword object, I add facebook, twitter etc.
3) Firewall > filter setup seems the place to configure as it allows me to add my schedules.
See screen shot attached

Any thoughts on this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Dec 2011 14:50 #70369 by drummerjohn
Replied by drummerjohn on topic Re: Draytek 2820 Content filtering
Shouldn't you be using URL content blocking?

• unrealone1
  • Topic Author
More
07 Dec 2011 08:56 #70374 by unrealone1
Replied by unrealone1 on topic Re: Draytek 2820 Content filtering
Whats the difference?

More
07 Dec 2011 23:53 #70400 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: Draytek 2820 Content filtering
With what you're doing it makes no difference - if you want to block sites then either one will work, but URL content filter can't do category based filtering.
It looks like you've got that set up okay but make sure you dont have the same content filter applied under Firewall - General Setup.

The General Setup / Default rule is the lowest priority filter rule thats processed after all the filter sets and it's active all the time / can't be scheduled.

Check out this page as well for a similar setup guide for what you're doing:
http://draytek.com/user/SupportAppnotesDetail.php?ID=1281
Except for what you're doing you'd just use the schedule examples and apply them to the second filter rule example of web content filtering

More
08 Dec 2011 09:56 #70404 by ian_m
Replied by ian_m on topic Re: Draytek 2820 Content filtering
Not sure what you are doing wrong, but I once had our 2820 setup to block Facebook and Twitter all hours except 12:30-1:30 due to excessive use by an employee during working hours. Was originally locked to an certain IP (his PC) but had to block all as was using his smartphone via WiFi (and other peoples PC's) to Twitter. Blocking worked fine.

Also blocked Ebay but had to do that based on MAC and/or IP as we do legitimately buy and sell work stuff from Ebay occasionally.

All rules cleared now as he is no longer employed due to email abuse issues !!!

More
08 Jan 2012 00:31 #70695 by popolou
Replied by popolou on topic Re: Draytek 2820 Content filtering

Voodle wrote: ....but make sure you dont have the same content filter applied under Firewall - General Setup.

Thanks for this - i came across this setting but thought little of it until i read your line.... which then made it all make sense. Oddly, i haven't come across anything in the (near to) official blurb/how-to's ensuring that the default rule is not enabled for the scheduling to work .

Pops

Moderators: Sami