DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Hacking attacks stopping my network

More
23 Dec 2011 17:41 #70561 by haywardi
Hacking attacks stopping my network was created by haywardi
Hi,

I just posted another topic regarding firewall rules, but this is a separate problem.

My network comes under attack from hackers outside my network trying to penetrate (sending SIP based messages to try and access my PBX and make free calls, so far unsuccessfully I might add).

When I'm under attack I get a constant stream of between 500-600k of data sent continuously for about 8 hours. WAY below the max of my ADSL connection. However these attacks completely stop my access to the internet. I get DNS entry errors and in general the whole thing just slows down to a crawl and I get web pages just timing out.

Given that my router regularly manages about 4-5meg in downloading data I really can't understand why 500-600k would have such a major impact.

Can anyone shed some light on my problem please?

Thanks in advance
Iain

Iain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Dec 2011 18:57 #70562 by sbv3000
Replied by sbv3000 on topic Re: Hacking attacks stopping my network
maybe the router processor is being overloaded by having to cope with rejecting the traffic leaving no capacity to serve dns requests etc.

perhaps you could used forced dns settings on the router/clients to take that load off?

More
25 Dec 2011 09:49 #70572 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: Hacking attacks stopping my network
Try turning on / off the DoS Defense - UDP flood defense - that can give the appearance of internet access failing cos it can't resolve DNS.
Part of a bigger problem though - you really need a filter rule to lock down access to 5060 UDP so the brute force attack stops.

More
25 Dec 2011 10:16 #70575 by haywardi
Replied by haywardi on topic Re: Hacking attacks stopping my network
Will do.

Thanks
Iain

Iain

Moderators: Sami