DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

USB 3.5G

More
24 Dec 2011 09:32 #70563 by kim83
USB 3.5G was created by kim83
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help.

I am using a 'Three' branded HUAWEI E353 (HSPA+) modem.

When plugged directly into my Mac I am receiving speeds twice as fast as when plugged into my VIGOR2820n

When plugged directly into my mac I am getting up to 10 down and 4 up
When plugged into the router I am getting up to 5 down and 2 up

Is it possible to check if i am getting a HSPA+ on the router?

---
My 2820 is on the latest firmware and my modem is plugged into an aerial so it is not a signal issue.

Thanks

Kim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2012 10:24 #70637 by kim83
Replied by kim83 on topic Re: USB 3.5G
Is any one else getting 3.5G speeds through their router on any modem?

More
03 Jan 2012 14:01 #70638 by j03y
Replied by j03y on topic Re: USB 3.5G
Kim83.

Don't have any knowledge of 3G solutions but I checked the product page for the 2820 and there is no mention of Huawei E353. I would contact Draytek support and ask the question if this modem is supported.

The only other thing I can think of trying is connecting your mac through ethernet if you used WiFi just to eliminate that as a potential cause. As you also getting the problem when connected to a router I'd double check you haven't got anything else on your network using the 3G at the same time by looking at Diagnostics >> Data Flow Monitor in the 2820's web configuration.

More
26 Jan 2012 10:29 #70931 by econogroup
Replied by econogroup on topic Re: USB 3.5G
Hmmm, is it me or have I read somewhere (could be wrong) that the USB connection is only USB 1.0

Please forgive me if Im wrong but isn't USB 1.0:

Specified data rates of 1.5 Mbit/s (Low-Bandwidth) and 12 Mbit/s (Full-Bandwidth). Does not allow for extension cables or pass-through monitors (due to timing and power limitations). Few such devices actually made it to market.

Yet the Huawei E353 is (one presumes) USB 2.0:

Speed.
Upload Speed: 5.76 Mbps
Download Speed: 21 Mbps

As I say, I'm sure I read this somewhere on the tinernet, so it could be duff info. If this is the case then it could well be because of this, as USB will never run at the full speed due to overheads and such like.

Moderators: Sami