Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 Slow Streaming All of a Sudden

• torchydt
  • Topic Author
More
27 Dec 2011 17:42 #70586 by torchydt
2820 Slow Streaming All of a Sudden was created by torchydt
Hi,

Short summary of issue. Have been a happy 2820 user for a couple of years. Have two WAN lines. WAN1 ADSL via BT. Rated at 20 Mb but usually get around 12/13. WAN2 Cable via Virgin, 50 MB and usually get close to that.

WAN2 is always connected, WAN1 kicks in if WAN2 fails.

About a week ago I noticed that under WAN2 any 'streaming' sites (e.g. iPlayer, iTunes (for downloads/TV shows, movies, etc.), streaming radio, etc.) were all dropping/stuttering. I used the BBC iPlayer test site using both WAN2 and WAN1. Results were these:

WAN2 (Virgin)
Download: 49,674
Streaming Test 1: 944
Streaming Test 2: 2,988
Streaming Test 3: 2,547.
Total: 2,159 (3,500 recommended for HD streaming).

WAN1 (BT)
Download: 12,745
Streaming Test 1: 9,448
Streaming Test 2: 13,008
Streaming Test 3: 7,962
Total: 10,139 (3,500 recommended for HD streaming).

Looked to me as though Virgin were throttling any streaming sites so I have been banging on to them. I am now rather embarrassed to admit that, having tried it out, a direct connection from the Virgin modem to the computer completely does away with the streaming issue and service is back to how it should be.

So I am left wondering if there is any kind of hardware fault that could cause this issue with just WAN2 or whether it is more likely that firmware has somehow got corrupted? I am running 3.3.3 and figure now might be a good time to move onto 3.3.7, but would welcome any thoughts before I embark on this. I am semi-literate in this stuff, but some of the finer points escape me (self taught, self dangerous!).

BTW, I have changed nothing to my knowledge in my 2820 settings between the service working and not working, and there don't seem to be many settings that apply separately to WAN1 and WAN2, so I'm a bit baffled by this one.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Dec 2011 13:01 #70605 by drummerjohn
Replied by drummerjohn on topic Re: 2820 Slow Streaming All of a Sudden
Interesting - I have a 2920 and seem to have the same issue. I thought it was Virgin as well.

I am on 3.3.7

I will do some testing later today.

More
29 Dec 2011 13:37 #70607 by drummerjohn
Can you tell me where\how you did that testing ie is it a website?

• torchydt
  • Topic Author
More
30 Dec 2011 08:41 #70612 by torchydt
Replied by torchydt on topic Re: 2820 Slow Streaming All of a Sudden
This is the website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics

However I fixed my problem. It seems that Virgin is one of a number of ISPs who are being wrongly routed if you use OpenDNS as your DNS provider. I was doing that. As soon as I changed this to use Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) all of a sudden I get excellent speed. This also fixed it for a load of other people (check the Virgin help forums). Not sure if that's what's going on in your case but worth checking.

More
30 Dec 2011 09:45 #70613 by drummerjohn
Thanks.

It would appear I don't have a problem despite using the OpenDNS server addresses. The results from the BBC site were excellent.

Every stat indicates I shouldn't have an issue but iplayer and Apple Movie trailers just aren't streaming well.

Will try changing the DNS address.

Moderators: Sami