DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

vigor 2830 poor performance driving me mad!

More
28 Dec 2011 14:39 #70592 by 1dmf
Hi,

I have spent the last couple of weeks on the Phone with BT and the broadband line company who have ran countless tests and 'hard resets' and they both claim there is nothing wrong with the line, yet the IT company who installed this new DrayTek insist it's the line at fault.

We didn't have this problem prior to them installing this new DrayTek, also BT and the line company are now stating it is the router at fault?

I'm stuck in the middle and all I care about is getting this working properly!

So what could be causing this problem?

Why when our dedicated VPN LAN 2 LAN tunnel is set up on the WAN1 is it so diabolically slow that it becomes unusable?

We are constantly loosing packets and in the end I simply unplug the cabable as it just isn't usable?

Why is the DrayTek causing us so many problems that we didin't have with our Linksys RV082?

How can it be the line at fault when it worked perfectly fine before we installed this new drayTek router?

It's been suggested that we flash the firmware but the info on what modem code to use is totally confusing so am not sure what is the best one?

NOTE: ADSL Modem Codes
For general purpose usage on UK lines, modem code 232201 is recommened
For ADSL2+ Annex M lines, the latest modem code 2471201 is suggested

Well we have both it's BT broadband ADSL2 but it's on a standard UK copper PTSN line, so which modem code should be used? (and what does Annex M mean?)

Help resolving this is much appreciated as I seem to be going round in circles!

Thanks,
1DMF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2011 15:57 #70593 by voodle
Are you using a PPTP or IPSec VPN? If it's IPSec, is it set to use High(ESP) security or medium (AH)?

I've always seen good performance from IPSec - High ESP security but I've heard the 2830 isn't so great with PPTP right now

More
28 Dec 2011 16:02 #70594 by 1dmf
The dedicated LAN 2 LAN VPN with the problem is IPSec , HIGH ESP (DES with authentication) IKE preshared key.

So that shouldn't be the problem should it?

Though the IT company did set up the standard VPN remote users to use PPTP, was this wrong?

More
29 Dec 2011 09:14 #70602 by voodle
Nothing wrong with either of those, it's LAN to LAN PPTP that I've seen problems with so I'm not sure why you're seeing such poor performance. I would check with draytek support whether they have any firmware for IPSec VPN issues as one of other threads in the VPN forum suggests there is some issue with the release firmware.

What sort of ADSL speeds do you get and what SNR margin & loop Att. values do you have?

More
29 Dec 2011 09:42 #70603 by 1dmf
Well the SNR has fluctuated from 2 - 10 , I was told by the IT company who installed it that the SNR should be @ 10, so as it was @ 2 I had BT 'hard reset' the line, but even when it went back up from 2 to @ 8 it was still unusable and BT plus the line provider insisted the line was fine?

It is currently...
Code:
ADSL Status Mode State Up Speed Down Speed SNR Margin Loop Att. ADSL2+(G.992.5) SHOWTIME 1228977 16729650 9 24

And so far it isn't causing a problem, we are even getting ping times between servers of 31ms at the moment, which is pretty fast.

One thing i have done though which might have resolved it was turn off QoS, while doing investigation into the problem, i found some threads saying the QoS was causing them similar problems.

I don't actually understand the numbers and what I should be setting for a good QoS across two ADSL2 lines, so I simply switched it off , the IT company had it set on 'OUT' then 25% across the board.

Could that have anything to do with it?

Moderators: Sami