DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820n URL Content Filter not working properly

• silverfox60
  • Topic Author
More
03 Jan 2012 15:00 #70639 by silverfox60
Just upgraded the firmware on a 2820n from v3.3.5.2 to v3.3.7 and since then the URL Content Filter is now blocking access to Google Calendar and prevents you logging out of "Google services". I do not get the usual "Draytek Firewall warnings/error messages", but Internet Explorer error messages stating "network" type problems, when obviously there aren't any.

I had previously set-up various URL Content Filter Keyword Objects and Keyword Groups to block things like Facebook, Bebo, MySpace, YouTube, BBC iPlayer, 4OD, Demand Five and various Radio stations etc...etc... and these have been working fine for over two years.

Now since the firmware upgrade, access to Google Calendar will not work unless the URL Content Filter Groups are removed. I can leave the Router configured with the "Enable URL Access Control" checked, but I have to "Edit" the "Group/Object Selections" and remove all the "Keyword Objects or Keyword Groups" or Google Calendar will not work.

Consequently staff (if they try by chance), can now get access to all Social Networking, Radio Stations, Youtube and TV stations "on demand" TV programmes that were previosuly blocked and I need to get this fixed ASAP.....

Any clues anyone? Has this problem been experienced by anyone else?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2012 16:12 #70642 by nealuk
Hello, I would grab the latest 3.3.7.1 firmware from here: ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2820/Firmware/v3.3.7.1/AnnexA/ and use the .rst file, then re-make your configuration from scratch.

Regards, Neal

• silverfox60
  • Topic Author
More
03 Jan 2012 17:06 #70646 by silverfox60
Replied by silverfox60 on topic Re: 2820n URL Content Filter not working properly
Thanks Neal, nice idea, but the Router is at a Client site 150 miles away. To do the .rst flash update remotely, will then prevent me from accessing the Router again and stop Internet access for the client until I can painstakingly talk the client through re-configuring the Router over the phone, to the point where it will connect to their Broadband provider, where I can access it again. Then I will have another couple of hours re-configuring all their VPN's and Firewall settings. They also have another two offices with the same Routers, where I would have to do the same to those as well :(

Why do you feel the need to reset it back to the factory settings and start from scratch? Is it that old Router configurations can't keep up with the new firmware?

More
03 Jan 2012 22:20 #70654 by nealuk

SilverFox60 wrote: ...Why do you feel the need to reset it back to the factory settings and start from scratch? Is it that old Router configurations can't keep up with the new firmware?

Hi, I totally feel the pain of your re-configuration situation, but yes, odd things can happen. You can import and export configs between different firmware versions, but having followed this forum for a long time, there are usually problematic side effects. Often, official support will ask you to do this first (.rst and reconfigure), before they will look at a ticket/request.

Sadly the config files aren't written in a tidy fashion, that maps fields to values, so that it will be 100% compatible between different firmwares

If you had a spare 2820 nearby, could you flash the firmware, configure, save the config file, copy the config file to "Site Z" then once the firmware is updated, talk the nearby person through importing the ready-config file? Far from ideal, but would it cut down on some of the pain?

Some stop-gap filtering may be achievable using OpenDNS servers, and blocking Youtube, non-work sites etc? Best regards, Neal

Moderators: Sami