DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

DrayTek Vigor2710Vn connection isue

• neilem
  • Topic Author
More
07 Jan 2012 15:36 #70691 by neilem
DrayTek Vigor2710Vn connection isue was created by neilem
Please help keep a sane man, sane. Feel free to provide some expert advice.

Versions and whatnot
Router: DrayTek Vigor 2710Vn
Firmware Version: 3.3.6.1_232201
ADSL Firmware Version: 232201_A Hardware: Annex A

The problem
Random and sporadic connection drops. Simple as that really, the whole connection drops and then reboots itself. Not much of a problem except when I'm playing an Xbox360 game or watching a football match on stream. Either way, it shouldn't be happening, so I'd want this fixed (which is why I'm here).

The history
This will be fun. Okay, there was the odd disconnect twice every day or so. Then around Christmas it happened alot more - which is when the straw broke the camels back and I decided to nip this in the bud.

• ISP

• Refusing to believe the router had any problems, I proceeded to voice my concern to the service provider. Nope, the representative described the line as showing a large amount of errors in very short bursts (the data he attached is quoted below). Apparently this points towards a wiring issue which could either be internal or external as it's showing on both the downstream and upstream pairs. So off to the phone line company to have a copper line test...

Status Check

Overview
Sync statusCircuit In Sync.
Profile InformationWBC 4M - 9M No delay (INP 0) 6dB Downstream, UC No delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+).
BRAS Profile8667.

Downstream
Loop Loss 23.1 dB .
SNR margin 5 dB .
Speed 8694 K .
Errored seconds 10 .
HEC errors.
MTBE 8 sec .

Upstream
Loop Loss 12.6 dB .
SNR margin 6 dB .
Speed 1211 K .
Errored seconds 0 .
HEC errors 15 .
MTBE 3446 sec .

Line checks
Maximum stable rate 11360 K .
Fault threshold rate 9088 K .
Indicative line quality A

• Phone company

• They did the line test and seen no fault on the line. Had a technical engineer on the phone also doing all sorts of tests, but still could not find anything. He asked if I had a spare router laying about, use that for a full day and see whether your connection drops. So I did...

• Spare router

• Amazingly, the spare router was faultless. The connection uptime matched the uptime when the router was switched on. This is unlike the Vigor 2710Vn, the connection uptime would be no longer than 15 hours - on special rare occasions. Ironically enough, the spare router was a DrayTek also, model Vigor2600i. Cannot use this permanently because it does not provide wireless access.

Conclusion
It is the router causing the connection drops. Have a friend who also owns the same model having the same problem, so it couldn't just be a bad and defunked product. Ask any questions which I may have missed in this post, I will gladly answer them... help help help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2012 22:48 #70694 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic Re: DrayTek Vigor2710Vn connection isue
On ADSL2 usually modem code 2471201 is better suited. I don't think this will be the complete solution to your disconnections.

• neilem
  • Topic Author
More
08 Jan 2012 19:32 #70703 by neilem
Replied by neilem on topic Re: DrayTek Vigor2710Vn connection isue

nealuk wrote: On ADSL2 usually modem code 2471201 is better suited. I don't think this will be the complete solution to your disconnections.

Installed 2471201 and again another disconnect has just happened inside 2 hours of uptime :x

Moderators: Sami