DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820n - suddenly can't hold sync, huge CRC errors

• oxygendebt
  • Topic Author
More
14 Jan 2012 21:08 #70772 by oxygendebt
I'm running a 3 year old 2820n (firmware 3.3.5.2) which has developed a problem in the last 12 hrs. I'm on Be ADSL2+

It can't hold a sync for more than 10 mins or so before resyncing, and racks up c. 1,000 CRC errors in that time (say 100/min) - 20 times the usual rate.

The unit hasn't been moved at all, and doesn't appear hot or warmer than usual.

There's no reported exchange issues from my ISP, a BT quiet line test is good (voice calls on line are also perfect, no crackles). No changes to internal wiring or network config.

I've hard reset the router, reloaded config files, left it off for 30 mins. No joy at all.

Is it on the way out? Internal capacitor knackered? Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received.

thanks

Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2012 18:53 #70782 by pcsupport
Have you tried the line with another router?

www.pc-support.uk.com

• oxygendebt
  • Topic Author
More
15 Jan 2012 21:51 #70784 by oxygendebt
Thanks for replying.

Yes, of course. I pulled out the old Netgear (DG834GT). Seemed to have solved the problem initially but that too struggled to hold a sync.

Finally, this evening, I've pinned it down. It was the RJ11 DSL cable from the router to the wall socket. Looked fine, had been in place for c. 5 yrs no problem, hidden from child yanking, etc. It was an expensive ADSL Nation one, too.

Replaced it and problem solved. Draytek holds sync as well as ever, CRC errors back to their usual minimal level.

A lesson learned!

Moderators: Sami