DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2830n Internet Drops

• aatthowe
  • Topic Author
More
18 Jan 2012 17:28 #70835 by aatthowe
2830n Internet Drops was created by aatthowe
Hi, I have a customer with a 10MB BT Leased line and they are getting internet drops 2-4 times a day. The draytek 2830n is brand new and running firmware 3.3.6.1, they have a managed cisco router from BT this plugs into the draytek in WAN2 via a network cable. The draytek is running various services inclduing DHCP with IP MAC binding (Customers choice not mine), 3 PPTP VPN's for remote sites, NAT Port Redirection and Open Ports, One static Route for an internal VLAN, There is a VOIP Phone System Connected and SIG ALG is disabled, Firewall is as standard with DNS allowed, DOS Defence is turned off, Keyword Object filtering is turned on, everything else is as standard out of the box, wireless lan is disabled.

Basically the workstations stop being able to browse the internet, I can still ping 8.8.8.8 and the bt router fine plus other sites. I can't browse anything on the internet though, I have plugged a laptop direct into the bt router whilst this has happened and can still browse the internet fine. BT can not find anything wrong with the leased line and I do not believe it to be the issue. The draytek still shows the connection as up, I have tried changing the DNS servers on the draytek to 8.8.8.8 primary and not using the BT DNS Servers which made no difference. When this happens the only way to get the internet back is to restart the draytek router until you do this no internet access is available. Once you do this everything returns to normal for another x amount of hours.

Please help....!

Thanks

Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• aatthowe
  • Topic Author
More
19 Jan 2012 08:14 #70837 by aatthowe
Replied by aatthowe on topic Re: 2830n Internet Drops
Another issue, I have three PPTP VPN's running. If I set the same authentication password on all connections then they will all connect if I set a unique password (I set the same password in each router ie each end) then it just doesnt connect. When I look at the VPN connection management from the main Draytek 2830 (The remote sites dial into this and are all draytek 2710's), it list the three vpn's but as all the same ip range (Which is one of the remote sites ip range) which they are not. If I look on the remote site routers it shows the correct ip settings and the vpn's work just doesnt quite seem right?

HO - 192.168.0 range (The VPN's get assigned an ip in this range using the PPTP settings)
Site 1 - 192.168.1 range
Site 2 - 192.168.2 range
Site 3 - 192.168.3 range (This is what the main router shows all three vpn's as using)

• aatthowe
  • Topic Author
More
20 Jan 2012 08:25 #70855 by aatthowe
Replied by aatthowe on topic Re: 2830n Internet Drops
VPN issue is now solved thanks and I have SEG loooking through a syslog with regards to the internet drops fingers crossed

More
20 Jan 2012 12:22 #70861 by briain
Replied by briain on topic Re: 2830n Internet Drops

aatthowe wrote:
....DHCP with IP MAC binding (Customers choice not mine)

Hi Andy

Just out of curiosity, what have you against DHCP with MAC binding? I tend to use that by choice and have never had any problems with it. I'm just curious in case you have information that I should know about :)

Kind regards
Bri

More
26 Jan 2012 13:28 #70936 by cosmap
Replied by cosmap on topic Re: 2830n Internet Drops

Briain wrote:

aatthowe wrote:
....DHCP with IP MAC binding (Customers choice not mine)

Hi Andy

Just out of curiosity, what have you against DHCP with MAC binding? I tend to use that by choice and have never had any problems with it. I'm just curious in case you have information that I should know about :)

Kind regards
Bri

We use it here as I had a user that kept on Bit torrenting and I wanted to stop him. Used strict bind and just did not allocate an address to him (meant he could use the intranet (and thus work) but could not get to the internet). It works fine, but there is a management overhead as I have to allocate ip addresses manually. This is actually a double edged sword as it is quite handy being able to track a given IP address to a given device (I log all allocations manually), but takes a couple of mins to get a new machine active.

On balance it is useful (in this environment, but it is not for all).

Cosma

Draytek 2600VGi, 2800, 2820Vn, * 02830Vn-Plus *, 2850Vn, 2860Vn

Moderators: Sami