Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

SKY and their MER authentication

• launton
  • Topic Author
More
11 May 2012 21:49 #72204 by launton
SKY and their MER authentication was created by launton
Hi

Over on the sky forum they're currently trying to crack sky's new MER authentication so other routers can be used. Billion are preparing a beta firmware for asdl and fibre connections. There's some info here:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/technical-discussion/46464-skys-mer-why-does-not-work-other-routers.html

I would dearly love a 'one solution' setup from Draytek, as this 'two device locked down setup connected by ether-net is cumbersome to say the least'

If there is enough interest would/are Draytek be interested in supporting this new authentication by creating a firmware update. Say, for the Vigor 2850 Series?

Thanks for reading

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2012 20:36 #72219 by jchamier
Replied by jchamier on topic Re: SKY and their MER authentication
I also would like this feature. Probably about to sign up with Sky's FTTC and having to use my Draytek in the DMZ of a useless Sky router would be very frustrating.

It seems we just need a couple of options on the WAN DHCP side exposing - DHCP Option 61 is the critical one, for Sky's Userid/password.

http://wiki.ph-mb.com/wiki/MER

Vigor2820Vn - BT Infinity 2 - Download: 45 megabit/sec - Upload: 8 megabit/sec

• launton
  • Topic Author
More
12 May 2012 20:59 #72220 by launton
Replied by launton on topic Re: SKY and their MER authentication
This could actually increase sales for Draytek if they support this feature. I'd buy in tomorrow!

More
12 May 2012 21:43 #72221 by jchamier
Replied by jchamier on topic Re: SKY and their MER authentication

launton wrote: This could actually increase sales for Draytek if they support this feature. I'd buy in tomorrow!

Agreed - I'd probably sell my Draytek and get a Billion if they can't update the firmware to support this.
Its not dramatically different to the hostname feature that some US cable ISPs need (and is already supported).

Vigor2820Vn - BT Infinity 2 - Download: 45 megabit/sec - Upload: 8 megabit/sec

More
14 May 2012 17:50 #72237 by robingill
Replied by robingill on topic Re: SKY and their MER authentication
Another person very interested - the Sky routers are useless.

There probably isn't much of a fuss now as most exchanges still allow PPPoA connections as well as MER, but if/when this gets cut, there will probably be a massive demand for compatible routers.

More
15 May 2012 23:05 #72253 by robingill
Replied by robingill on topic Re: SKY and their MER authentication
Got it working with my Vigor 120 v2 and a pfSense router.

The only reason I suspect Drayteks won't work is because the Router Name field on the MPoA (RFC1483/2684) Mode settings page is limited to 22 chars.

I suspect if this was expanded to around 35-40 chars this would let Drayteks connect to Sky's "MER".

If anyone at Draytek is reading this, I'm happy to test out a beta firmware in non bridged mode to see if it works. Modem details below.

Model Name : Vigor120 v2
Firmware Version : 3.2.6
Build Date/Time : May 4 2011 18:35:03
ADSL Firmware Version : 332201_A Hardware: Annex B

Moderators: Sami