DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

SKY and their MER authentication

More
04 Sep 2012 00:29 #73390 by mrt0ad
Replied by mrt0ad on topic Re: SKY and their MER authentication
Hi beautiful people :)

Does anyone know if there is a beta firmware to use with Sky for the 2850 family too? At the moment I'm running a pFsense box because it supports MER but is proving too much for me.

Is a really powerful firewall, but due to my own shortcomings I'm spending more time investigating how to make things work than using the actual connection...

The 2850Vn would do all I need in a more... hmmmm... "accessible" manner, but is not clear whether such firmware is available or at least "in the making"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2012 15:51 #73393 by briain
Replied by briain on topic Re: SKY and their MER authentication
Hi

Well I've just tried the beta on my 2820Vn, but though it gets to 'Showtime', I'm still not getting my network credentials from Sky's DHCP server. Just as Kevin has tried (post on the previous page), I used the below configuration:

Multi-PVC channel=Channel 2
Encapsulation=1483 Bridged IP VC-Mux
VPI=0
VCI=40
Modulation=ADSL2+(G.992.5)
WAN Connection Mode=ARP Detect
No RIP
No Bridge Mode
Obtain an IP address automatically

Bri

Edit: It seems my Sky router can now only connect PPPoA, so it looks like Sky have changed something; most odd as one of my neighbours (same exchange) is on MER.

More
05 Sep 2012 19:40 #73410 by reado
Replied by reado on topic Re: SKY and their MER authentication
I'm trying to get my 2820n to connect to Sky's Fibre Unlimited service via the BT Openreach modem. DrayTek sent me firmware 3.3.7.2_RC3 but it still doesn't work.

Under WAN2, I have selected PPPoE and typed my Sky username (...@skydsl) and password leaving everything else set to default, rebooted, but nothing. Under Multi-PVCs I tried changing Channel 1 to MPoA and then tried every encapsulation, with a VPI of 0 and VCI of 40. Again, it doesn't work.

Has anyone managed to get their 2820 to work with Sky Fibre yet? If so, please could you share your configuration?

More
06 Sep 2012 20:49 #73423 by reado
Replied by reado on topic Re: SKY and their MER authentication
Well I'm now connected on Sky Fibre Unlimited using only my 2820 and the BT Openreach modem!!! Here's how I did it...

With the Openreach modem connected to WAN2:

1) Upgrade to firmware 3.3.7.2_RC3a
2) Reset router to factory defaults
3) Under WAN > General Setup, disable WAN1 and make sure WAN2 is enabled
4) Under WAN > Internet Access > WAN2 > Static or Dynamic IP, enable this mode, use "Obtain an IP address automatically" and specify the Router Name as your sky username and password in the following format: aabbccddeeff@skydsl|password
5) Set the MTU value to 1478 (this is what my Sky router was set to)
6) Apply the settings and reboot

It takes between 2 and 4 minutes to connect. If the connection drops, it reconnects in a few seconds.

More
07 Sep 2012 11:20 #73428 by ghost32
Replied by ghost32 on topic Re: SKY and their MER authentication
ok here's my two pennys worth
Got myself a vigor 2710 on sky unlimited with a crappy saegcom router
I took my current WAN IP, Subnet, Gateway, DNS servers and WAN MAC address from my sky router.
I then set up the below
PPOA/E disabled

VPI=0
VCI=40
No RIP
No Bridge Mode

Then manually set the IP and specified the MAC address

connected it up and BAM showtime...
maximum speed all looks good
The connection runs for about 30 min or so before data transfer stops ( you can tell this because the staticically assigned ip address goes red)
So when i reconnected the sky router.. (noted my new ip/gateway etc) re-entered them and bam 30 min more uptime

I then telnetted into the router and ammended the "srv dhcp custom_option" setting option 61 with my sky adsl username ( this is where i started to become unsure as i don't know under what option i should put my password?

connected back in and i still got the 30 min of uptime..
This is as far as i have got

Has anyone else had any more luck than i have...?

More
07 Sep 2012 15:39 #73433 by mrt0ad
Replied by mrt0ad on topic Re: SKY and their MER authentication

ghost32 wrote: ok here's my two pennys worth
Got myself a vigor 2710 on sky unlimited with a crappy saegcom router
I took my current WAN IP, Subnet, Gateway, DNS servers and WAN MAC address from my sky router.
I then set up the below
PPOA/E disabled

VPI=0
VCI=40
No RIP
No Bridge Mode

Then manually set the IP and specified the MAC address

connected it up and BAM showtime...
maximum speed all looks good
The connection runs for about 30 min or so before data transfer stops ( you can tell this because the staticically assigned ip address goes red)
So when i reconnected the sky router.. (noted my new ip/gateway etc) re-entered them and bam 30 min more uptime

I then telnetted into the router and ammended the "srv dhcp custom_option" setting option 61 with my sky adsl username ( this is where i started to become unsure as i don't know under what option i should put my password?

connected back in and i still got the 30 min of uptime..
This is as far as i have got

Has anyone else had any more luck than i have...?

It should be username|password rather than just username. The character in between both is "|".

You can try to obtain an IP automatically after doing this (rather than setting the previously assigned IP manually). If this works for you is very good news indeed.

Moderators: Sami