DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

SKY and their MER authentication

More
08 Sep 2012 19:21 #73442 by ghost32
Replied by ghost32 on topic Re: SKY and their MER authentication

MrT0ad wrote:

It should be username|password rather than just username. The character in between both is "|".

You can try to obtain an IP automatically after doing this (rather than setting the previously assigned IP manually). If this works for you is very good news indeed.

unfortunately I can add it in but it doesn't make any difference.

is there any one from the draytek support reading this... that could at least point us in the right direction till they provide beta firmware for more models?
what did they have to add to make it work for the other model?

Is it just a matter or editing the srv dhcp custom_option with a specific dhcp code (61 or which ever) and then your sky details?
or are we way off base?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2012 19:23 #73443 by ghost32
Replied by ghost32 on topic Re: SKY and their MER authentication

Reado wrote: Well I'm now connected on Sky Fibre Unlimited using only my 2820 and the BT Openreach modem!!! Here's how I did it...

With the Openreach modem connected to WAN2:

1) Upgrade to firmware 3.3.7.2_RC3a
2) Reset router to factory defaults
3) Under WAN > General Setup, disable WAN1 and make sure WAN2 is enabled
4) Under WAN > Internet Access > WAN2 > Static or Dynamic IP, enable this mode, use "Obtain an IP address automatically" and specify the Router Name as your sky username and password in the following format: aabbccddeeff@skydsl|password
5) Set the MTU value to 1478 (this is what my Sky router was set to)
6) Apply the settings and reboot

It takes between 2 and 4 minutes to connect. If the connection drops, it reconnects in a few seconds.

my router name will not allow that many characters... is there a way to set this within a config file or something similar?

More
08 Sep 2012 20:32 #73444 by mrt0ad
Replied by mrt0ad on topic Re: SKY and their MER authentication

ghost32 wrote:

MrT0ad wrote:

It should be username|password rather than just username. The character in between both is "|".

You can try to obtain an IP automatically after doing this (rather than setting the previously assigned IP manually). If this works for you is very good news indeed.

unfortunately I can add it in but it doesn't make any difference.

is there any one from the draytek support reading this... that could at least point us in the right direction till they provide beta firmware for more models?
what did they have to add to make it work for the other model?

Is it just a matter or editing the srv dhcp custom_option with a specific dhcp code (61 or which ever) and then your sky details?
or are we way off base?

I find the documentation of the "custom_option" a bit... sketchy.

Perhaps to someone with better knowledge than mine is all glaringly obvious, but at this point I'm not even sure on what would be the command to enable this...

srv dhcp custom_option -e 1 -t 1 -q 61 -n 1234567890ab@skydsl|1234567890abcde perhaps?

alternatively you could try converting the string "1234567890ab@skydsl|1234567890abcde" (that's just an example, you should use your own ;) )into HEX (for instance using http://www.string-functions.com/string-hex.aspx) and use the output string instead.

I've used the -q and -n modifiers because according to the documentation the custom option is limited to either one single 64B option or two 32B options, and when I converted my username|password to hex the resulting string was bigger than 32B (35B exactly) so I went for the single 64B option.

Of course this is all theory + wild guessing from the info in the Sky MER wiki and the information about this particular terminal command scattered along the net... I don't have a Draytek router myself, I'm using pFsense because it supports this authentication method "out of the box".

EDIT: In fact I have the feeling that this command affects the DHCP server (the one used to assign IPs to the devices within your LAN) and not the DHCP client (the one used to dynamically obtain an external IP from your ISP).

Most of these devices are multi-WAN yet this command doesn't seem to have a modifier to discriminate which interface it applies to, that combined with the fact that the command starts with "srv" (short for "server" in many circumstances) makes me think we are barking at the wrong tree here.

More
15 Sep 2012 11:33 #73508 by barrierman
Replied by barrierman on topic Re: SKY and their MER authentication
Any info on when the 2850 series will work with Sky Fibre?

More
22 Oct 2012 11:43 #73899 by barrierman
Replied by barrierman on topic Re: SKY and their MER authentication
Anybody from Draytek have an update?

More
12 Nov 2012 00:56 #74164 by kevinl
Replied by kevinl on topic Re: SKY and their MER authentication

barrierman wrote: Anybody from Draytek have an update?

Had a brief e-mail dialogue with support - they are still working on the problem.

However, I think there are some priority issues at work here, looking at some the the Firmware releases for some of the newer Hardware it seems that the old 2830 might have fallen by the wayside a bit.

Even the Board Clock hasn't been updated from BST!

Moderators: Sami