DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 120 v2 Airport Extreme PPPoE Dropping

• moondav
  • Topic Author
More
08 Oct 2012 22:39 #73776 by moondav
This is a strange one and I started on Apple Forum because it seemed to be an Apple problem but now not sure. After 18 months of perfect Internet connection I had to replace an early Airport Express connected to FreeSat TV for iPlayer. New model Express required re setting of Airport Extreme Base station: by now I am using Mac OS X Lion. I kept getting PPPoE disconnects, hopeless. Tried using new Express as Base Station, same problems. So tried Vigor connected direct to Mac with Mac handling PPPoE and no problem, gave up test after 15 hours unbroken connection. Gave up and ran on fall-back Netgear DG834G which works fine for basic Internet and Network.

I left the whole subject alone for a couple of weeks and then tried Vigor/Extreme again, but no change. So I decided I needed to try different ADSL modem and discovered, to my surprise, that the Netgear DG834G can be used as pure ADSL modem. I have connected this to the Airport Extreme which is handling the PPPoE just as if connected to Vigor and it all works perfectly, BBC iPlayer via Express on TV, the lot! So what communication "fault" could be occuring between Vigor 120v2 and Airport? Vigor to Mac Computer fine, Netgear as ADSL modem to Airport fine, Vigor to Airport hopeless. I am not alone with this problem on Apple Forum on both sides of Atlantic. Any ideas?

3 weeks later. I now have the answer. I bought a new Vigor 120 and it works fine, so guess the old one developed very obtuse fault after 18 months.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Nov 2012 17:25 #74252 by reckless
I have just had exactly the same problem albeit with an Apple Time Machine. After a year of uninterrupted connection, I suddenly started getting long periods with no PPPoE connection. Initially, I suspected my Time Machine as things were much better with an Airport Express set up as a router. However, soon, even this was no good. So, although my 120 was only 10 months old - cant find the receipt! - I bought a second 120 and have had no problems since. Not sure if the original 120 has a fault or whether its worth getting it repaired - I will certainly send it back if I can locate the receipt from Amazon but it was a Xmas present along with the Time machine so no guarantee of success.

More
10 Jul 2013 20:12 #76939 by alexph
Wow, this is exactly the same issues that i have been getting. Same time scale as well - 18 months give or take a week.

Because the 120 worked correctly when directly linked, I assumed that it was the Extreme, and have just bought a 2830 to replace both. However I might now get another 120 and see what happens.

Wish i had seen this earlier

A

More
02 Sep 2013 13:08 #77578 by senoroso
Same issues here. 120 is about a year old and has very intermittent connection now.

More
05 Sep 2013 11:53 #77612 by admin
You need to contact support; they will replace it under warranty.

Forum Administrator

Moderators: Sami